Pitt volleyball to face top teams in conference

By Torie Wytiaz

After handing Big East opponent Louisville its first conference loss, the Pitt volleyball… After handing Big East opponent Louisville its first conference loss, the Pitt volleyball team’s confidence is high. With a game against the conference’s leader fast approaching, the Panthers will look to build on that momentum this weekend.

“By beating the No. 2 team in the Big East, we have proven to ourselves and the rest of the conference that we can beat anyone,” senior middle blocker Kiesha Leggs said. “It gives us a sense of confidence going forward with the rest of the season.”

The Panthers were able to rebound from a 0-3 loss to Cincinnati last Saturday to earn a 3-1 victory over the Louisville Cardinals the next day.

“The win against Louisville showed that our team is poised and able to respond to defeat in a positive way,” head coach Toby Rens said after the victory. “Hopefully that momentum will carry over into the coming weeks.”

The lasting effects of the Louisville match will be put to the test this coming weekend as the Panthers (14-10, 4-5 Big East) return home to host Syracuse and Marquette.

Syracuse (15-8, 4-3) currently sits two spots ahead of Pitt in the Big East while Marquette (18-6, 8-0) is the overall conference leader.

In a competitive conference like the Big East, the Panthers understand that every match is a challenge.

“From top to bottom, the Big East is full of teams that can beat any other team on any given day, and that is something the whole team recognizes,” Rens said. “There is no shortage of competitive volleyball.”

Syracuse will come to the Fitzgerald Field House boasting the conference’s best blocking defense. The Orange average just under three blocks per set, and junior Samantha Hinz is the Big East leader in blocks with 133 on the year.

In order to combat Hinz’s blocking prowess, the Panthers will use a balanced offensive attack to keep the Orange out of their system.

“We have been able to involve a variety of players in the offense this season, and that certainly needs to continue against a tough blocking defense,” Rens said. “Our offense will have to be very efficient.”

Leggs has been a major contributor to that offense, as she led the team with 24 kills against Louisville.

In addition to Leggs’ success, the return of freshman outside hitter Jessica Wynn was an offensive spark this past weekend.

After battling her way back from an injury, Wynn earned her first start since September against Cincinnati and led all players with 12 kills, a career high.

“It is hard just watching from the bench so I was glad to get back into the game,” Wynn said. “I am looking forward to playing Syracuse and Marquette and continuing to improve.”

Rens agreed and added that even though she’s a freshman, Wynn adds more than statistics to the Pitt team.

“Jessica has a positive attitude that brings a lot of energy on the court,” Rens said. “That presence is essential in maintaining confidence and momentum throughout a match.”

Such momentum and energy will be key against Marquette on Sunday.

As the conference leader, Marquette brings a fast-paced offensive attack that averages over 13 kills per set and just under 13 assists.

According to Rens, the match-up against Marquette will feature two teams with similar styles of play.

“Our goal each match is to dictate the tempo of play,” Rens said. “Marquette has a similar game plan and they are probably the quickest offense in the Big East. It should be an exciting match of high-paced volleyball.”

Leggs is looking forward to another chance to give a Big East rival their first conference loss of the season, and she believes that the experience against Louisville will motivate the team this week in practice.

“Now we know what it takes to get the big win,” Leggs said. “With communication and mental focus, we can compete with the best, including Syracuse and Marquette.”