Football: Graham named National Offensive Player of the Week

By Lauren Kirschman

The Walter Camp Football Foundation named Pitt running back Ray Graham its National Offensive… The Walter Camp Football Foundation named Pitt running back Ray Graham its National Offensive Player of the Week after Graham rushed for 226 yards against No. 16 South

Florida on Thursday.

Graham scored two touchdowns and averaged 8.7 yards on his 26 carries against the Bulls. He also ended the game with four receptions for 42 yards.

“Graham is quicker than he is fast and he is very elusive,” South Florida head coach Skip Holtz said after the game on Thursday. “He has sideways, lateral movement. He has great vision and he can turn and go. If he can get on the perimeter, he is going to hurt you.”

The junior leads the nation with 734 yards so far this season. South Carolina’s Marcus Lattimore is second with 677 yards.

Graham’s 734-yard total also the largest achieved by a Pitt player through five games in school history. Former Pitt running back and Heisman Trophy winner Tony Dorsett previously held the record, rushing for 717 yards through five games in 1973.

Graham leads the Big East and ranks third nationally this season with 146.8 rushing yards per game. He’s averaging 5.8 yards on his 126 carries this season.

Members of the media select the Walter Camp National Players of the Week.

Pitt (3-2, 1-0 Big East) started off conference play with the upset over South Florida at Heinz Field and will look to continue that success on the road against Rutgers (3-1, 1-0 Big East) on Saturday. Kickoff is set for 3:30 p.m.