Pitt football takes down UConn, 35-20

By Lauren Kirschman

When tailback Ray Graham injured his right knee and left the game on Pitt’s first drive on… When tailback Ray Graham injured his right knee and left the game on Pitt’s first drive on Wednesday night, the Panther offense could’ve shut down.

Instead, quarterback Tino Sunseri and the passing game took over.

Graham, who ranks second in the nation with 134.1 rushing yards per game, was carried off the field and then carted to the locker room early in the first quarter. Graham has been one of the few positives for the Pitt offense and his loss, potentially for the season, is devastating to the Panthers’ attack.

But against the Huskies, Sunseri guided the Panthers to a 35-20 win over Connecticut at Heinz Field with a career-high 419 passing yards and two touchdowns on 29-42 passing.

Sunseri set the collegiate record at Heinz Field for passing yards, while also tying the fourth highest passing yard total in Pitt history. Former quarterback Rod Rutherford also threw for 419 yards against West Virginia in 2003.

Ten days ago, in Pitt’s loss to Utah, Sunseri and backup quarterback Trey Anderson combined to complete just nine total passes for 40 yards.

Graham returned to the Pitt sideline on crutches with ice on his knee in the first half. After the break, he remained on crutches with a knee brace. Pitt officials don’t yet know the extent of the injury.

Tailback Zach Brown led the Panthers in receiving with 84 yards on nine receptions. Receivers Mike Shanahan, Devin Street and Cameron Saddler finished with 76, 70 and 66 yards, respectively.