Football: Stephens-Howling, Fitz face off with Pittsburgh

By Roger Sepich

They spent their collegiate careers playing football on Saturdays at the home of the Pittsburgh… They spent their collegiate careers playing football on Saturdays at the home of the Pittsburgh Steelers. This past Sunday, however, two former Panthers and current Arizona Cardinals  — Larry Fitzgerald (Pitt wide receiver, 2002-2003) and LaRod Stephens-Howling (Pitt running back, 2005-2008) — did their best to help their team in a game against the Steelers.

Fitzgerald led Arizona receivers with 78 receiving yards on four catches, but Stephens-Howling, whom Cardinals fans have nicknamed “The Hyphen,” made Arizona’s biggest play of the game.

Early in the second half, Stephens-Howling caught a short pass and was able to run the ball upfield for a 73-yard touchdown, showing off his speed and big-play ability.

“I felt like I had to take it to the house,” Stephens-Howling said in a postgame press conference. “I’m thankful for those receivers blocking downfield.”

Stephens-Howling’s touchdown cut the Pittsburgh lead to three in the third quarter but both Fitzgerald’s and Stephens-Howling’s contributions weren’t enough, as the Steelers defeated the Cardinals 32-20.

Another former Panther who made a big play on Sunday is New York Jet Darrelle Revis (Pitt cornerback, 2004-2006). With the Jets down four and the San Diego Chargers driving, Revis recorded a crucial interception from Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers and returned it 64 yards to set up the Jets’ go-ahead touchdown moments later.

“Sometimes you go out there and the ball bounces your way,” Revis said after the game. “It was a great play on everybody’s part.”

The interception was Revis’ fourth of the season and 18th of his career.

Jonathan Baldwin (Pitt wide receiver, 2008-2010) finally recovered from a thumb injury in time to make his NFL debut Sunday in the Kansas City Chiefs’ 28-0 victory over their division rivals, the Oakland Raiders.

Baldwin got significant playing time in the game and was targeted five times by Kansas City quarterback Matt Cassel. He recorded one 14-yard reception for his first career NFL catch.

Another former Panther in his rookie season who made an impact Sunday was Jabaal Sheard (Pitt defensive end, 2007-2010).

Sheard was a part of the Cleveland Browns defense that held the Seattle Seahawks to three points in the Browns’ ugly 6-3 win. He recorded three tackles and took his season sack total to two and a half with a half sack.

His former Pitt and current Browns teammate Jason Pinkston (Pitt offensive line, 2007-2010) started at left guard and helped Cleveland rushers record 141 yards in the game.

In that same game, Seahawks defensive back Kennard Cox (Pitt cornerback, 2004-2007) had a mixed day.

Cox picked up three tackles and his first career half sack but was also penalized for a questionable block-in-the-back call on a punt return for a touchdown in the third quarter, which could have won Seattle the game. Instead, the Seahawks fell by three points.

In a weekend full of low-scoring games, a few other former Panthers contributed to quality defensive performances.

Jacksonville Jaguar Clint Session (Pitt linebacker, 2004-2006) had four tackles, including one for a loss, as his team held the Baltimore Ravens to just a single touchdown in their 12-7 upset win on Monday Night Football.

Aaron Berry (Pitt cornerback, 2006-2009) did his best to help the Detroit Lions’ secondary slow down Matt Ryan and the Atlanta Falcons’ passing attack.

Berry tallied a team-high two passes defended and made two tackles, but it wasn’t enough as the Lions fell to the Falcons 23-16.

Dom DeCicco (Pitt safety, 2007-2010) contributed a few times on special teams for the Chicago Bears. He traveled with the Bears to London, where the team played in the NFL International Series game, and recorded two tackles in Chicago’s 24-18 win over Tampa Bay.