Editorial: If you want it, ask for it

The word “lobbyist” can carry a foul connotation. But how about when it’s applied to your own University?

On Wednesday, Pitt students, staff and faculty visited Harrisburg, Pa., to lobby state legislators to increase funding and support for the University. Pitt currently has the unfortunate honor of being number one­—that is, on the list of the most expensive universities in the country for in-state tuition.   

Rather than bitterly blogging or complaining about government or University policy, Pitt students shuttling to Harrisburg and back in one day to advocate for greater state funding benefits the University. The visit urges students to offer solutions, work with those with whom they may not agree and practice reaching out to their representatives at Pitt and in Pennsylvania. 

When eagerly looking to place blame, remember that Harrisburg is not the sole cause of Pitt’s tuition increase. State legislators and officials allocate limited resources, and therefore have to make difficult decisions that do not always go in our favor. However, Pitt and Harrisburg must work together to lose the University’s title of most expensive non-private school in the country.

Tuition costs at Pitt have consistently increased since the 1997-1998 school year, according to the University’s Office of the Chief Financial Officer. The Pitt community must work with state leaders to devise practical approaches to keeping tuition low and education quality high. Such progress can only happen when parties meet, in person, to work toward a common goal.

Pitt Day in Harrisburg’s greatest value is teaching students to actively engage their leaders. We urge all students to continue their efforts and proactively lobby, not only on a designated day but also year-round. 

Pitt Day in Harrisburg matters, but so does every other day. Get out of bed, get off the computer and productively and respectfully work with your leaders to allow Pitt and our community to thrive for many years to come.