Tasser’s Take: Don’t expect quarterback success to last

By Donnie Tasser

Two weeks into the football season and this has already been dubbed the “Year of the… Two weeks into the football season and this has already been dubbed the “Year of the Quarterback.” Considering the prodigious passing numbers put up thus far — and by some surprising players — it very well might be. But I don’t expect it to last.Much of the poor defense has been credited to the lockout-stricken offseason, and as time goes on I think quarterbacks’ lives will get a lot tougher. Here are my five quarterbacks you could see cool off in the near future:

Matthew Stafford, Detroit Lions

Everyone knows that Stafford — the first overall pick in 2009 — has enormous potential, but it appears that he might be reaching his limits this season. He’s only 23 years old but has a 112.0 passer rating, 7 touchdowns against 2 interceptions and is averaging a robust 300 yards per game. But — and this is a big one — he hasn’t been able to stay healthy in either of his first two seasons in the league, instead acquiring two season-ending injuries to his throwing shoulder. If he can stay healthy, he will have a shot to lead the 2-0 Lions to the playoffs for the first time since 1998. I think he can.

Ryan Fitzpatrick, Buffalo Bills

Fitzpatrick and the Buffalo Bills have already exceeded expectations for the year. They’re undefeated, have the NFL’s leading rusher and have apparently found a superstar quarterback in Fitzpatrick. The Harvard grad has 7 touchdowns to 1 interception, is averaging 236 yards per game and has a quarterback rating of 109.6. I don’t expect the Bills to continue their high level of play, but this week will show us how good they really are — they’ll face off with the 2-0 New England Patriots and their porous defense. That also means Fitzpatrick will go head to head with…

Tom Brady, New England Patriots

Love him or hate him, we all know that Tom Brady is a future Hall of Famer. That being said, through two games, his stats are astronomical. He can’t possibly keep up his record pace for 7,000 yards, 55 TDs and a 128.0 quarterback rating, right? Right!?!

Cam Newton, Carolina Panthers

Newton has set NFL records for yards passing in his first two starts, averaging 427 yards per game. Granted, at times he appears like the rookie he is — case in point: his four interceptions compared to three touchdown passes — but other times he shows his ridiculous athletic ability. His team is winless, but as the season goes on I expect its record will improve. His stat line will suffer, but when DeAngelo Williams picks starts running the way he did last year,, the Panthers will be dangerous.

Tony Romo, Dallas Cowboys

One of the most embattled players in the country, Romo is almost never given the benefit of the doubt. Whether it’s his off-field romances or his knack for choking in big games, Romo’s once-promising career with the Cowboys seems to have plateaued. But he showed a great deal of stamina in the Cowboys’ overtime win over San Francisco last week, finishing the game with 345 yards passing and two touchdowns — all while overcoming a broken rib and punctured lung. If he continues to play like he has so far this season (save for the last drive against the Jets) he just might win a playoff game. I said “might.”