Volleyball: Panthers to begin Big East stretch

By Torie Wytiaz

Freshman Mechael Guess is not quite sure what to expect next weekend, but she knows that she is… Freshman Mechael Guess is not quite sure what to expect next weekend, but she knows that she is excited to face Big East competition.

“I don’t have any experience playing in any collegiate conference — let alone the competitive Big East — but I am definitely looking forward to it,” Guess said.

After compiling a 10-4 preseason record, the Panther volleyball team will open its conference schedule on Friday, Sept. 23, when it welcomes the Seton Hall Pirates to the Fitzgerald Field House.

Guess, an outside hitter, is certainly not the only inexperienced player this season. This year’s Panther squad contains only two seniors, and many freshmen and sophomores have seen substantial playing time.

However, head coach Toby Rens is confident that his young team is ready to compete in the Big East at a high level. Last year, the Panthers entered their Big East schedule with a 4-9 record and finished 9-8 against Big East opponents on the year.

“We do have an inexperienced team, but I am pleased with our preseason performances,” Rens said. “To have 10 wins at this juncture is impressive, and even our four losses will benefit us as we move into conference play.”

Seton Hall, who the Panthers beat 3-2 in their most recent meeting last October, could present some challenges for the Panthers. The Pirates are coming off of a dominant 3-0 win against Princeton, and have started their season 8-6. In the Panther’s most recent matches during the Blue and Gold Tournament, the team finished 2-1..

The Panthers cruised to a 3-0 victory over Temple in the tournament, before rallying from a 0-2 set deficit to defeat New Mexico 3-2.

For junior outside hitter Alexa Campbell, these two victories were important in building team confidence. But she said the most beneficial match of the weekend was a 3-2 loss to Delaware.

“We had the two-set lead against Delaware, but we could not close it out,” Campbell said. “That loss shows a lapse in mental focus that we need to work on as a team, so that we can face the mental challenges that will come in Big East competition.”

As for the experienced players, middle hitter Kiesha Leggs has been instrumental in the Panthers’ offensive scheme. She recorded 23 kills in the latest match and has been a consistent leader in team kills.

Junior hitter Jasmine Dittrich has also been contributing to the scoring efforts, while fellow junior Margy Acton has set the pace on defense from the libero position.

“Margy is playing some of her best volleyball right now,” Rens said. “This is encouraging, especially as we are entering conference play when everyone will need to be at their highest level.”

Leggs, Dittrich and Acton are the Panther captains, and Guess said they represent leadership for the younger players.

“Each of our three captains contributes on the court with their play, but they are also mentors off the court,” Guess said. “They each have their own way of relating to the freshmen and sophomores and helping us adjust to collegiate volleyball.”

The success of the upperclassmen leadership is evident in the play of the underclassmen mentees, who have impressed their head coach.

“Watching the matches, I sometimes forget that most of those players are freshmen and sophomores,” Rens said. “The fact that they are performing well early in their careers is a testament to their work ethic and pure skill.’

Sophomore outside hitter Monica Wignot and freshman starting setter Lindsey Zitzke are two of those impressive younger players, and their contributions have been invaluable to the Panthers’ successs.

Wignot has earned both an all-tournament and MVP designation this year, while Zitzke has been named Freshman of The Week in the Big East.

“Monica is a key offensive contributor who is actually still developing,” Rens said. “Even now, she continues to improve other aspects of her game, such as serving and defense.”

The setter position is critical in volleyball, as that individual essentially dictates the flow of the game and runs the offense.

“As a freshman, Lindsey has been able to make her presence known on the court and manage our offensive game plan with efficiency,” Rens said.

The Panthers — from the freshmen to the seniors — are ready to carry their preseason success into Big East competition.

“Personally, I can’t wait for Big East play to begin,” Campbell said. “We are definitely ready for the challenge.”