Sepich: USF, WVU start season strong

By Roger Sepich

After the conference cruised to a perfect 8-0 record in college football’s opening weekend,… After the conference cruised to a perfect 8-0 record in college football’s opening weekend, some Big East football teams ran into stumbling blocks in week two. The results left half of the league at 1-1 and half of the league undefeated.

Heading into what could be a crucial week three for the Big East, here are my rankings of the eight football teams in the conference:

1) South Florida – The Bulls vault to the top of my standings on the back of their 37-7 demolition of Ball State. Unlike Pitt and West Virginia, USF dominated from the first play as they returned a fumble for a touchdown on the opening kickoff. Quarterback B.J. Daniels did his best to show that the Bulls’ upset of Notre Dame in week one was no fluke as he racked up 373 yards of total offense.

2) West Virginia – For the second straight week, the Mountaineers struggled early only to turn a potential upset into a blowout in the second half. Trailing Norfolk State at halftime cost West Virginia the top spot in my rankings, but if they can play a whole game like they played the second half this weekend — outscoring their FSC opponent 45-0 — then the Mountaineers could run away with the conference.

3) Pittsburgh – Pitt fans expecting a blowout win Saturday over Maine left disappointed by the Panthers’ six-point victory, but I’m reserving judgment until I see how Pitt copes with this weekend’s tough road game at Iowa. A win will make the Panthers a Big East favorite again, but a loss could result in diminished expectations and possibly a quarterback controversy.

4) Syracuse – The fourth and final undefeated Big East team also held on to beat a FCS team as the Orange picked up a 21-14 victory over Rhode Island. Last week I said Syracuse was built to win close games, and they did just that. For the second straight week, quarterback Ryan Nassib came through in the fourth quarter. An upset against Southern California in week three would be a huge statement victory for Syracuse.

5) Rutgers – The Scarlet Knights were a two-point conversion away from taking North Carolina to overtime in Chapel Hill, despite finishing with a net total of 1 yard rushing. Quarterback Chas Dodd and receiver Mohamed Sanu kept Rutgers in it and showed the entire Big East that head coach Greg Schiano’s team has the potential to be competitive in the conference this year.

6) Connecticut – After falling behind 14-3 at Vanderbilt, the Huskies rallied back to take a 21-14 lead only to throw the game away – literally – as an interception return for a touchdown handed Vanderbilt a three-point victory. However, there were some game highlights for UConn, namely freshman running back Lyle McCombs running more than 100 yards for his second-straight game.

7) Cincinnati – The Bearcats couldn’t keep up with Tennessee as they lost to the Volunteers 45-23. The Cincinnati offense, led by quarterback Zach Collaros and running back Isaiah Pead, did its part, but the defense will have to be much better going forward if the Bearcats plan on making any noise in the Big East this season.

8) Louisville – For the second straight week, Louisville finishes at the bottom of my standings. The Cardinals had an opportunity to impress a national television audience Friday night with a winnable game against Florida International, but it was the FIU Panthers who stole the stage as they physically dominated Louisville throughout. It could be a long year for head coach Charlie Strong’s team.

Offensive Player of the Week: B.J. Daniels, Quarterback, South Florida – In his third year starting, Daniels appears to finally be making the most of his talents at the quarterback position. Despite sitting for most of the second half of the Bulls’ blowout victory, Daniels still managed to tally almost 400 yards of offense and added a touchdown.

Defensive Player of the Week: Phillip Thomas, Safety, Syracuse – The junior defensive back made sure the Orange weren’t upset by Rhode Island as he recorded two interceptions, including one crucial pick in the fourth quarter to preserve the win.

Coach of the Week: Skip Holtz, South Florida – I’m not sure what Holtz said to his team in the locker room before the game, but whatever it was, it worked. While many of the conference’s other teams were struggling with lower opposition, the Bulls jumped out to a 30-0 halftime lead against Ball State and never looked back.

What to watch for in week three: Real games – Most of the teams in the conference have gotten the early-season games against FCS and MAC schools out of the way, and there are quite a few good matchups on the schedule this weekend. Iowa State, Maryland, Iowa, Kentucky, and USC will all play Big East schools in what could be a critical weekend for the conference.