Tennis: Lu hopes to build on successful freshman season

By Nate Barnes

Replacing a graduated player is never easy — especially when that player compiled the… Replacing a graduated player is never easy — especially when that player compiled the second-highest amount of career victories in Pitt tennis history.

Even though Elizabeth Adams’ senior season was marred extensively by injuries to her shoulder that caused her to miss several matches and compile just 17 total victories — seven in singles and 10 in doubles — she still finished her career with 139 career victories.

Kristy Borza finished her career in 2009 with the all-time Pitt record 176 career victories.

This year, the Panthers will have to play without Adams’ leadership and steadying presence. But athletes like Jocelyn Lu, a sophomore from Mission Viejo, Calif., already started making an impact.

Adams’ injury-plagued season opened up an opportunity for Lu to step up and give fans a glimpse into the future of Pitt tennis.

While Adams was injured, Lu was the No. 2 singles player while junior Gabrielle Catanzariti played No. 1 singles. The two will compete to fill Adams’ role permanently this season.

Last year, Lu’s 32 victories led the team and her 20 singles victories tie her for ninth place all-time for singles wins in one season at Pitt.

She posted 20 wins in singles play and 12 in doubles and will look to improve upon those numbers this season.

Lu also attained a .714 winning percentage in singles play, good for 14th in Pitt history. She never lost back-to-back matches during her first season as a Panther.

“Tennis players who are good tennis players — and Jocelyn certainly is one — come in and are ready to go from day one,” head coach George Dieffenbach said. “She came in very competitive and hit the ground running. It was great to have her come in and immediately help the team.”

Still, not having Adams’ experience consistently in the lineup at the No. 1 spot contributed to the team’s overall record of 8-12, 2-7 in the Big East.

In every one of Adams’ other three seasons, she led the Panthers to the Big East tournament. But this year, with its leader’s missed time and a tough schedule, Pitt missed the tournament and finished without a winning record for the first time since 2005, when the team went 9-11 and also failed to qualify for postseason play.

“Her leadership will be greatly missed,” Dieffenbach said. “She was a hard worker and a great competitor. She always played to win, and she played her best for Pitt.”

Lu, with a year of experience at the collegiate level, will look to get the Panthers back on track this season.

Dieffenbach said that Lu is “coachable, intelligent and a very hard-worker.”

“It should be noted that she is also doing very well in her studies. She is the complete package,” Dieffenbach said.

Even in the presence of older players who have been successful like Catanzariti (21 wins, third on team), Karma Parbhu (19 wins, fourth on team) and Minh Evans (15 wins, sixth on team), Lu figures to be a leader for the Panthers this year.

As she enters the upcoming season, Lu will remember the lessons she learned from Adams’ influence.

“I learned that it is hard to be the No. 1 player,” she said. “This past year really opened my eyes as to how much the rest of the team looks up to the top player to be the leader of the team.”

Alongside Lu is another player who helped step up to fill the void Adams left most of the season — Kimmy Borza, the local product of Beaver, Pa.

Borza enters her sophomore season after finishing second on the team with 25 overall victories. She paired with Lu to win 12 doubles matches and added 13 victories in singles play.

Lu and Borza pairing as a doubles team not only helps to improve each of their individual abilities, but also the team as a whole.

“When we warm up, we always hit with each other because we’re partners for doubles,” Borza said. “It’s really good to have someone to hit with consistently, especially someone who is as good as Jocelyn.”

Coming into the 2011 season, the Panthers have high expectations. Adams is the only major loss, and the team will return six of the seven players who competed on a regular basis in the starting lineup.

Coach Dieffenbach also has increased expectations for Lu.

“The experience of playing a tough schedule last year and having her first year under her belt will definitely make her a better player,” he said. “I’m sure she has been working and practicing hard in the offseason, and she will be prepared to come in and compete and have an even more successful sophomore season.”

Lu said she worked hard during the offseason.

“I improved my stroke so that I feel much looser when I’m playing and keeping the correct form on my strokes,” she said. “I’ve also been working on my shot placement to help move opponents cross-court.”

Any improvement to Lu’s game will certainly make her a much tougher opponent, and she looks to take the next step not only in her individual game, but also in helping the entire team be more successful next season.

“I hope I can help the new freshmen and make them feel welcome like I did last year,” Lu said. “Overall, I want to help the team become closer and make sure that we all play our best together.”