Panthers go undefeated in first tournament

By Torie Wytiaz

After her freshman season, junior Margy Acton found a new home at Pitt after playing at Lehigh… After her freshman season, junior Margy Acton found a new home at Pitt after playing at Lehigh University. . Now, two years later, Acton protects that home whenever she gets the chance.

Acton and her teammates on the Pitt volleyball team compiled a 4-0 record this weekend en route to a first-place distinction in the Pitt Panther Invitational held at the Fitzgerald Field House.

The team’s wins came in their first action since they were eliminated by Marquette in the quarterfinals of last year’s Big East championship. The Panthers struggled in the clutch last season, but seem to have left those days in the past.

“It is a great feeling to be able to go undefeated at home, especially in this opening weekend of play,” Acton said. She was named to the all-tournament team. “Defending our home territory is a way to build confidence and prepare us for the rest of the season.”

The Panthers earned the tournament title after defeating Howard (3-0), Eastern Kentucky (3-0), Marist (3-0) and Rhode Island (3-1).

Acton led the team in defense throughout the weekend, averaging 4.62 digs per set. She was joined on the all-tournament team by senior Kiesha Leggs.

Leggs, a middle blocker, recorded a season-best 12 kills in the match against Marist and added 9 more against Rhode Island.

Sophomore outside hitter Monica Wignot turned in an outstanding offensive weekend and was named the overall tournament MVP. She tallied 43 kills in the four matches and secured her first career double-double against Rhode Island with 17 kills and 10 digs.

“I honestly was not expecting the MVP,” Wignot said. “It feels great and it is truly an honor, but this weekend’s wins were most definitely a total team effort.”

Head coach Toby Rens agreed, noting that several Panther players performed at a high level.

“This was the first weekend of volleyball for all the schools and we were able to grow as a team in this invitational,” Rens said. “So many players stepped up for us and contributed to an undefeated tournament record.”

On a team with only two seniors, many of those contributors are young players with little collegiate experience.

Rens was particularly impressed with the play of the freshman trio of Kate Yeazel, Mechael Guess and Lindsey Zitzke.

“Mechael was excellent, especially against Rhode Island where she chipped in with 11 kills,” Rens said. “Having that kind of offensive production off the bench from a freshman is huge.”

Rens was also pleased with his team’s serving throughout the weekend.

“Our serving was key in a lot of tough situations with close scores,” Rens said. “Lindsey along with Margy Acton, were big factors in that aspect of our game.”

Zitzke, the starting setter, earned 13 aces on the weekend, and Acton added seven of her own.

According to Rens, Yeazel’s play in the Rhode Island match was critical to the Panthers’ victory. After dropping the second set to the Rams, the Panthers adjusted their lineup and Yeazel was brought in to play in the opposite attacking position.

“Bringing Kate in and moving Kiesha to middle blocker was just the change we needed to get back on track and take the final two sets from Rhode Island,” Rens said. “Kate showed great poise and effort coming in from the bench and I was happy with the results.”

For the Panther team, a successful weekend meant more than just winning the tournament title. The competitive experience was also a way for the team to grow in confidence.

“For a lot of the freshmen — and even some upperclassmen — the first weekend of play can cause some jitters,” Acton said. “Pulling together as a team and earning four victories showed that we have come a long way and that all the younger players deserve the complete confidence we have in their abilities.”

In addition to their play on the court, Rens was equally impressed with the ability of the freshman class to adjust to the higher level of volleyball competition.

“The most important thing the new players can do is maintain their mental focus on the court,” Rens said. “I think we did that this weekend and it shows in our record.”

The Panthers will look to sustain that level of intensity as they prepare to host some of the nation’s best teams — including the defending national champions, the Penn State Nittany Lions — in next weekend’s University of Pittsburgh Invitational.