Former dean of School of Social Work passed away

By Mallory Grossman

David Epperson, dean emeritus of Pitt’s School of Social Work, passed away early Monday… David Epperson, dean emeritus of Pitt’s School of Social Work, died early Monday evening of an apparent heart attack. He was 76.

Epperson was stricken while at a YMCA meeting downtown. He has been a part of the organization since 1958 when he first attended a meeting as a Pitt freshman, according to a statement the University released Tuesday.

Epperson had held the post longer than any other dean at Pitt, or any other American school of social work, when he retired in 2001 after 29 years, according to the statement.

“Dave Epperson and I began working together as deans more than a quarter of a century ago,” Chancellor Mark A Nordenberg said in the statement. “He already was an accomplished academic leader at that time, so I naturally turned to him for guidance. He remained a special source of advice, encouragement, and support through all the years that followed.”

During Epperson’s years at Pitt, the School of Social Work gained national attention and became noted for its research, teaching and practice in multiple areas including families, mental health and community organization. The enrollment in the school more than tripled under his leadership and it became ranked in the top 10 percent of accredited graduate social work programs in the country, according to the statement.

“While he also found time for many other worthy causes, here in Pittsburgh and in more distant locations,” Nordenberg continued in the statement, “Dave devoted most of his professional life to Pitt, where he was respectfully known as ‘the dean of deans.’ He was a wonderful person who will be sorely missed by all who knew him, but he has left an inspiring legacy of good works and a legion of devoted friends who will continue to honor his memory through their own commitments to the causes in which he believed.”

Epperson was also a leader at Pitt’s Center for Mental Health Services Research and developed the Child Welfare Education for Leadership Program, which provides educational opportunities for public child welfare personnel. Pitt established the David E. Epperson Endowed Chair in the School of Social Work in 2008.

He earned four degrees from Pitt, including a bachelor’s degree in political science in 1961, a master’s degree in social work, political science and international affairs and a PhD in political science and public policy in 1975.

Epperson is survived by his wife, two daughters and three grandchildren.