State budget will likely pass by deadline

By Mallory Grossman

Pennsylvania’s $27.15 billion state budget passed in the state Senate Tuesday afternoon, and… Pennsylvania’s $27.15 billion state budget passed in the state Senate Tuesday afternoon, and will most likely pass through the House by Thursday.

The state has a constitutionally mandated June 30 deadline to pass its budget, which it might meet for one of the few times in the past decade. After the budget passes in both chambers, it goes to Gov. Tom Corbett for a signature.

Pennsylvania faces a $4 billion deficit, which will be covered in the budget by a three percent spending cut. These cuts go to many, but not all, state departmentse, including funding to state-related universities. Other programs, like the Department of Education and the Department of Public Welfare, will see cuts.

Pitt, as a “non-preferred” institution, has its annual appropriation — which passed both chambers Tuesday — considered separate from the state budget.

There are two identical versions of Pitt’s appropriation bill right now, one in the House and one in the Senate. The two chambers will decide on a final bill, which will be sent to Gov. Tom Corbett to be signed into law.

Both bills allocate the same amount of cuts to Pitt’s funding — 19 percent. The university-funding bill requires a two-thirds majority in both chambers, and the Senate appropriation for Pitt passed unanimously.The House bill passed with 179 votes of a possible 203, with nine Republicans and 13 Democrats voting against it.