Softball: Panthers to host first league game in new stadium

By Torie Wytiaz

Pitt’s softball team can finally show off its new Petersen Sports Complex to a Big East rival… Pitt’s softball team can finally show off its new Petersen Sports Complex to a Big East rival this weekend, just over two months into the season.

After splitting a doubleheader at Ohio State on Wednesday, the Panthers return home to take on conference opponent Louisville in a three-game series taking place on Saturday and Sunday to round out the week.

Playing five games in five days might be tough for some teams, but the Panthers (24-8) have become acclimated to this type of scheduling after participating in several tournaments where several games are squeezed into a weekend.

“We just came off of a bye week, so the midweek games against Ohio State and the home series against Louisville come at a good time,” Aprile said. “We were able to balance our practice schedule accordingly so that we would be prepared for the games.”

And though the Panthers have already played two games in the new Petersen Sports Complex — splitting a series against Penn State — the Louisville series will mark the Pitt women’s first conference competition there, something that means a lot to the team.

Aprile noted that while all games are significant, the ones against Big East competition seem a bit more exciting.

“Within the conference, there is a level of familiarity among the teams, and when teams get on a roll, anybody can beat anybody,” Aprile said. “Everyone is focused on the Big East tournament, so the conference games tend to have a high degree of competition.”

Both Louisville and Pitt enter the series touting plenty of offense, but despite the importance of the series, Pitt senior pitcher Corey Berliner knows that every Big East team presents a challenge, despite their record.

“Every year, the Big East is competitive from top to bottom,” Berliner said. “Getting the conference victories is extremely important to us.”

So far the Panthers have been successful in that endeavor, currently 3-0 and tied with Notre Dame for second place in the Big East after a three game series sweep against Seton Hall earlier in the season.

The Panthers will look to build on that early season success against Louisville with a formula of strong starting pitching and a solid offense, which has proved beneficial so far this season.

Joining Berliner in the starting rotation are fellow senior Alyssa O’Connell and freshman Karlyn Jones.

With her 45th career victory against Penn State on March 29, Berliner became the all-time leader in wins in Pitt softball history.

O’Connell has been similarly dominant, leading the Big East in earned-run-average and opponent-batting-average statistics. Jones sports an 8-2

record, the best 10-game start for a rookie in Pitt history.

But the pitching staff will face a strong challenge against Louisville, which boasts a 5-1 conference record and one of this past week’s Big East Honor Roll selections in freshman Katie Keller..

Keller, the Lousiville second baseman, has had seven hits in her last 14 at-bats, including two homeruns and 10 RBIs.

But the offensive support for the Panther pitchers has been strong recently, as they scored 25 runs in their three wins over Seton Hall and hitting is something that Aprile has the team working on constantly.

“We have been hitting well, and that is something that we practice a lot during the week,” Aprile said. “We want to stay sharp in that category and keep the momentum with us when we are at the plate.”

Carrying some of that momentum has been junior Kelly Hmiel, currently the Big East leader in slugging percentage at .798 and the team leader in homeruns, with nine.

Also contributing to the Panthers lineup this season are junior Yvette Bravo and sophomore Holly Stevens, each with five homers.

While homeruns from sluggers like Hmiel have helpedthe Panthers’ scoring this season, Aprile is stressing the importance of other offensive components that are often overlooked.

For example, senior Ashley Amistade set another Pitt softball record when she stole her 65th career base during the Penn State series. Efforts like hers fit in well with Aprile’s overall game plan.

“Our goal is to get runners on base and then move them into scoring position,” Aprile said. “Ashley is always looking to go.”

With the pitching and hitting components of their game in place, the Panthers are ready for their next Big East contest as they seek to build from their early successes.

“We played well against Seton Hall,” Berliner said. “Continuing that level of play throughout the Big East season will be key in putting together a successful year.”