Column | Best places to eat after a Pitt football game

Kaycee Orwig | Senior Staff Photographer

Staff writer Kyle Saxon lists some of the best dining options to consider after Pitt football games at Heinz Field.

By Kyle Saxon, Senior Staff Writer

For the thousands of Panther fans at Heinz Field on a Pitt football gameday, there are rarely guarantees about what will happen on the field. But the Pitt faithful can always leave the stadium assured that there will be a great place for a post-game meal.

While many people may rush home to visit their favorite restaurant or cook their own food, there are plenty of fantastic options within walking distance of the stadium. For those who want to explore the City more, or simply cannot wait to eat after the game, here are some of the best dining options to consider after Pitt football games.

Burgatory

Burgatory is a dining staple in the Pittsburgh area. The local chain boasts nine locations around the City — one of which is actually located inside of Heinz Field. But for those who prefer a true sit-down environment, a six-minute walk up North Shore Drive after the game is certainly worth the while.

The specialty of this upbeat spot is quite evident in its title, as Burgatory offers one of the best selections of burgers in the City. Besides their 10 specialty offerings, they also offer a game-changing custom burger option, which is always my go-to choice. Visitors can create their own burger from scratch, with plenty of different kinds of meat and toppings available, as well as vegetarian options.

Another portion of the menu is their wide selection of milkshakes, featuring my personal favorite –– Campfire S’Mores. Even while the menu is certainly targeted toward those particularly craving a burger and a milkshake, there are a variety of appetizers and salads available.

Burgatory also offers bar seating and plenty of televisions to continue watching the college football games that remain on any given Saturday.

Taps and Taco

For those craving a taco or burrito, a walk just past PNC Park will lead to a fantastic spot. Taps and Taco offers a wide selection of tacos, salads, burritos and bowls as well as plenty of customization options.

This restaurant provides a friendly environment for Pittsburgh fans to congregate before and after games. For those of age, Taps and Taco also prides itself on its extensive selection of margaritas, cocktails and other alcoholic beverages.

Taps and Taco provides a great option for those looking to explore the area in depth. For me, a few “Hog Wild” tacos always make my trips to the North Shore much better.

City Works

While there are a plethora of other great options in the North Shore, some fans may prefer a scenic walk over the Fort Duquesne Bridge to the famous Point State Park. Just a few blocks from the tourist attraction is one of the best dining environments in all of Pittsburgh –– Market Square.

For those who aren’t done watching college football for the day, City Works presents an unbelievable environment for sports fans. The famous sports bar features 15 flat-screen TVs and a very open dining space with both indoor and outdoor seating. In regards to their food, City Works offers just about everything.

The appetizers and entrees feature a range of classic American, Mexican and Italian cuisine, with seafood options as well. The buffalo chicken dip and pulled pork sandwiches never disappoint after a Panther football game.

While most of the televisions are located in the bar section, they are visible from anywhere in the 11,200-square-foot dining hall, making City Works an unmatched environment to socialize and soak in the full gameday experience in Pittsburgh.

The Yard

Another Market Square staple, The Yard features several locations around the City, none more welcoming than their Downtown restaurant. The appetizer selection is unmatched, with several different types of wings, flatbreads and salads.

It is impossible to talk about The Yard without mentioning the grilled cheese selection. Visitors can choose between 22 creative variations of grilled cheese sandwiches —the best is “Los Pollos Hermanos.” With great burgers and desserts as well, The Yard truly offers a signature dining experience.

Most of all, the environment of Market Square takes this restaurant to the next level.

While many fans may try to beat traffic following a game, these are four of the many delicious and energetic post-game dining options that the city of Pittsburgh has to offer in the North Shore and just across the Allegheny River.