Girmai: Dress for better service

By Bethie Girmai

Despite having another week of classes, many students already have their minds on Cancún, Cabo… Despite having another week of classes, many students already have their minds on Cancún, Cabo San Lucas and other exotic locations. In just a week, these vacation spots will be packed for spring break with many travelers arriving by plane.

One of my biggest questions is: What will these students be wearing for the flight?

Over the past several years, I’ve noticed a shift in what’s considered acceptable plane attire.

My earliest memory of flying on a cross-continental plane is from 2001. At the young age of 11, I flew with my mom to our native Eritrea for my uncle’s summer wedding. The night before, just as I finished packing, I began to set out my outfit for the eight-hour journey. My first choice, a casual shorts and T-shirt combo, was quickly shot down by my mother. I can say with some certainty that, the next morning, I must have been the only person in the airport under the age of 25 in a pantsuit — a lavender pantsuit at that.

Although I was admittedly overdressed, I felt mature and sophisticated beyond my 11 years. Once we had passed through security, we went in search of something to eat. As I waited for my pizza, I noticed something that would make only an 11-year-old’s eyes widen as much as mine did.

Five feet away from me, a crowd of girls were swooning over none other than three members of O-Town. I immediately headed over.

Afterward, I was thankful for my pantsuit and shuddered to think how I would have approached the boy-banders had I been wearing my measly shorts and T-shirt. After I posed for pictures and drooled over the band members, my mother said, “Whether it’s the mall, the airport or school, you never know whom you might bump into when you leave the house. Especially in the airport and mall … your outfit will affect the service you receive.”

Over the last few years, my mother’s comment has continued to ring true. To some extent, our attire affects other people’s perceptions of us. I’ve seen the difference in service in the mall, for example.

Over Thanksgiving break, I made two trips to the same mall. The first time, I was well-rested, well-dressed and dripping in labels. Sales associates were almost tripping over each other trying to help me in the hopes of securing a guaranteed commission. Although I enjoyed the service and special attention, I didn’t buy anything that day.

Later that week, I returned to that same mall and the same department stores, except this time, I wore sweatpants (don’t hate me) and Ugg boots (I’m a fraud). The store clerks’ reception of me was decidedly different. I had trouble finding someone to help me, and even though I was prepared to make some sizable purchases, the sales associates didn’t seem inclined to help.

The same is generally true when it comes to any service establishment or industry, including airports and restaurants. In the airport, dressing in a long black trench coat or baggy sweatpants is a terrible idea. In today’s unstable political climate, traveling makes people nervous and even more likely to think of you in a negative way.

Anywhere you go to exchange money for some type of service or product, you will be judged for the way you dress. Whether that judgment is good or bad, it’s sure to affect the manner in which you’re treated.

Is it fair? Definitely not. But it’s human nature, and we’re all guilty of making judgments of each other based on appearance and dress. It’s also something that is out of our control. I’m not one to care about what people think of me and wouldn’t advise anyone else to care either, but I’m well aware of the stigma associated with dressing sloppily. You should be too.

So remember as you prepare to take off towards an exotic locale or when you go anywhere to receive service: Dressing just a bit better could lead to an improved experience.