Women’s basketball: Panthers look for second straight Big East win

By Roger Sepich

For the Pitt women’s basketball team, a return home to the Petersen Events Center couldn’t… For the Pitt women’s basketball team, a return home to the Petersen Events Center couldn’t come at a better time.

Head coach Agnus Berenato and her team will face one of their stiffest challenges of the season Saturday afternoon when they host one of the best teams in the country, No. 12 Notre Dame, at the Peterson Events Center at 2 p.m.

“We are pretty fired up to play Notre Dame,” Berenato said in an interview this week. “The name itself signifies competition and tremendous fight.”

Pitt (9-7, 1-2 Big East) is coming off its first Big East win of the season Wednesday night at Seton Hall and will play at home for the first time in 17 days following its recent four game road trip.

“It is nice to be back home and get your fans together,” Pitt senior forward Shayla Scott said in an interview. “Nothing tops a home game. We haven’t been here in forever, and I am excited to see everyone and play [Saturday].”

Meanwhile, Notre Dame enters the game with one of the most talented offensive units in the country.

The Irish (14-4, 3-1 Big East) are averaging just under 84 points per game and haven’t been held below 65 points all season long.

The Notre Dame attack is led by junior guard Natalie Novosel and sophomore guard Skylar Diggins, who are each averaging over 13 points per game. However, the Irish’s squad isn’t lacking in depth as it has a total of eight players who are each averaging more than five points per game.

“Notre Dame brings excellence and they are ranked No. 12 in the country,” Berenato said. “This is a team that is ranked third in the nation in scoring, second in steals, and third in field-goal percentage. We have explained that to our team.”

Knowing that Notre Dame hasn’t lost to an unranked team, the Panthers acknowledge that they may be the underdogs.

But that doesn’t mean Pitt doesn’t believe that a victory is a real possibility.

“We have to play the game that we know how to play to win,” Scott said of her team. “It will be a big game with the Irish ranked and an upset is what we are seeking.”