Trendy fashion failures should serve as lessons

By Bethie Girmai

Although some might be blessed with impeccable taste and style, no one is immune to the wrath of… Although some might be blessed with impeccable taste and style, no one is immune to the wrath of the fashion gods. Whether you’re great at mixing and matching trends or the poster child for revamping tired styles, you are just as likely as anyone to fall prey to one of the most offensive fashion faux pas. Even I have been guilty of breaking the No. 1 rule in the proverbial fashion bible: Always stay true to your own style.

The easiest way to break the golden rule is by religiously following trends. Many people have bought pieces for their wardrobe solely because they are in style. But just because a trend is popular doesn’t mean it will automatically look good on you or fit with your overall sense of style.

I’ve been guilty of subscribing to the latest fashion fad many a time. And granted, I have a few items in my closet I’m not proud of, which likewise, aren’t proud of me. I can’t forget my mishap with harem pants during the summer of ’08. And I will never live down my matching Juicy Couture velour sweatsuits. Though shopping for trends is an art that takes practice and a little structure, it’s definitely not impossible.

When shopping for trends, you should always ask yourself, “If this weren’t a popular item this year, would I still buy it?” If you answer this question with a resounding yes, then it may be an item that you will want to use for many years to come. However, if you answer no, chances are you’re just interested in the item because everyone else is.

Secondly, you must ask yourself, “Is this item practical?” If you don’t think you’ll get a significant amount of wear out of a piece, or at least your money’s worth, it will probably be doomed to a long imprisonment in the deep depths of your closet.

Lastly, ask yourself if the item in question not only supplements the rest of your wardrobe, but complements it as well. If you prefer skinny jeans and a flannel shirt, the khakis and oxford ruffled tank that everyone seems to have probably won’t complement anything in your closet. If you want to invest in a trend that strays out of your typical comfort zone, just find a variation of the style that is more practical for you.

Religiously following trends goes hand in hand with another addendum to the golden rule: Don’t take all your fashion cues from the runway. To many people, fashion is an art form and a means for self-expression. Therefore, much of what populates the runways in New York, Paris and Milan is completely impractical.

Most people wouldn’t dream of wearing McQueen shoes on a trip to the grocery store or a Balenciaga dress to a workplace Christmas party — and for good reason. Just like every other trend, trends that originate on the runway should be implemented into your wardrobe carefully and sparingly.

Furthermore, trends that grace our favorite runways typically aren’t made for the average woman, but for 5-foot-10, size 2 models. So we should wear these trends accordingly. Most of us don’t model for a living, so runway trends might not work for all of us.

If a certain style doesn’t flatter your particular shape or body type, you shouldn’t wear it. Always think past the trends in the pages of Vogue and think instead of how they will look on you, not Gemma Ward or Natalie Portman. Even if you’ve fallen completely in love with a trend, if it doesn’t flatter you, there’s no use in wearing it.

So remember to always stay true to your fashion sense. Never compromise your style for a passing fad, always invest in items with staying power and buy for style, practicality and comfort.

But most of all, remember that sometimes the fashion gods don’t know what’s best. Instead, have a little faith in your inner fashionista, because she is the only one who will always know what’s best for you.