Tasser: Pitt, Syracuse top Big East

By Donnie Tasser

et ready for a big week in the Big East, everyone. Exciting games are the norm for the best… Get ready for a big week in the Big East, everyone. Exciting games are the norm for the best conference in college basketball — whew, it feels good to say that, especially after a whole semester of covering horrendous Big East football — but Monday alone offers two Final Four-caliber games.

The No. 4-ranked Syracuse Orange are one of only four remaining unbeaten teams in men’s basketball this season, and they will put it all on the line when they travel to the Steel City to take on the No. 5 Pittsburgh Panthers in a battle for the No. 1 spot in the conference, and likely a top-three ranking in the country. Neither team can get caught looking ahead, however, because both play tomorrow. The Orange host Cincinnati and the Panthers host Seton Hall.

The Panthers-Orange game this upcoming Monday will be a classic battle of a top-tier offense versus a tremendous defense. Pitt is arguably the best offensive team in the country, ranking first in assists per game (20.1), sixth in rebounds per game (42.2), 11th in field goal percentage (.490) and 18th in points per game (80.6). Syracuse runs coach Jim Boeheim’s signature 2-3 zone better than any team in recent memory. When a great offense meets a great defense, the game is usually decided by how play goes between the offensive power’s defense and the defensive power’s offense.. Pitt has been uncharacteristically average on defense this year, and Syracuse only shoots 33.9 percent from the field. So, what’s the X-factor? The Oakland Zoo, of course. Look for Pitt to pull this one out.

The other game in the Big East on Monday pits No. 7 Villanova against the host No. 9 Connecticut Huskies. The Wildcats are a very balanced and talented team, pretty much the Huskies’ opposite. It’s not that UConn isn’t talented, but it gets by mostly because Kemba Walker is nasty. Averaging 25.3 points per game, he’s second in the nation. If Walker’s supporting cast can back him up, the Huskies could very well win this game, but I see Nova’s balance of perimeter shooters and interior scorers being too much for Connecticut.

Other important conference games over the next week include Marquette at No. 17 Louisville Saturday, No. 11 Notre Dame at St. John’s on Sunday and Cincinnati at Notre Dame on Wednesday. There are also two big nonconference games — Maryland plays at Villanova tomorrow and West Virginia hosts No. 8 Purdue on Sunday.

Because there are so many teams in the Big East in basketball, each week I will rank only the top eight for my power rankings. This will not only save space but also give the teams incentive to win, because obviously they want to be included on the list.

Power Rankings

1). Syracuse Orange — This is pretty much a toss-up between ’Cuse and Pitt and could very well change by next week.

2). Pittsburgh Panthers — The Panthers have been on fire, winning six in a row since their only loss to Tennessee in early December.

3). Villanova Wildcats — ’Nova has won 10 in a row since its only loss (also to Tennessee) and is firmly holding on to a spot in the Big East’s “Big Three.”

4). Connecticut Huskies — Kemba Walker continues to shine with the Huskies bouncing back from a disappointing loss to Notre Dame with a one-point, overtime victory over No. 12 Texas.

5). Notre Dame Fighting Irish — The Irish surprised a lot of folks this year with their high level of play before suffering a very bad blowout loss to Marquette on Monday.

6). Louisville Cardinals — The Cards are ranked No. 17 behind early season victories over Butler and UNLV, but they have suffered bad losses of late to No. 7 Villanova, No. 12 Kentucky and unranked Drexel.

7). Marquette Golden Eagles — The Golden Eagles are in the midst of a Big East gauntlet: Starting with Pitt last week, they play the No. 5, 11, 17, 11, 9, 4, 7 and 19 teams over a 10-game span.

8). Georgetown Hoyas — Georgetown started hot but, as is the recurring theme for this team, is starting to fade. The Hoyas have lost four of their past five games by an average of almost 10 points.