Editorial: Football risks warrant more open discussion

San Francisco 49ers linebacker Chris Borland has tackled an issue more powerful than any NFL player. The 24-year-old up-and-coming star told ESPN’s “Outside the Lines” on Monday that he is retiring from the NFL after just one year, citing concerns over possible brain damage, according to espn.com. 

As we reflect on Borland’s decision, we should not generalize and contend that all players should either follow or reject the path Borland chose. Rather, we should celebrate his bravery, as it can positively foster further discussion about the legitimate health concerns surrounding American football.

Numerous studies have linked football-related brain injuries to severe neurological problems, such as dementia, Alzheimer’s disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS). In 2012, a study published in the medical journal Neurology found that professional football players are three times more likely to have neurodegenerative diseases than the general population.

The correlation between football and brain damage hits home locally. In 2002, Allegheny County forensic pathologist Bennet Omalu found evidence linking football-related brain injuries to dementia, when studying the brain of late Pittsburgh Steelers great Mike Webster. Over the past year, actors and filmmakers have descended on Pittsburgh to film the movie “Game Brain,” which stars Will Smith as Omalu and tells the story of Omalu’s discovery.

It is important that we do not criticize athletes who choose to continue playing, even with the possibility of major health risks. At the professional level, football is more than a game. It is a livelihood, and players should have the option to participate if they choose. 

Borland’s announcement to step away from football also provides young players with a positive role model. Society too often encourages athletes to “suck it up,” “quit whining” and mask their pains or troubles. This attitude, however, does not benefit the players.

We cannot diminish Borland’s bravery. We must instead use his decision to construct an environment in which realistic discourse can flourish on the matter of football safety at all levels — whether early school-age or professional — about the health realities concerning football and a need for safety solutions. We must equip parents and players to make responsible choices regarding the game.

Going forward, let’s use Borland’s example to discuss the realities of football at each level. It’s the right call.