Two armed robberies, shots fired over weekend in Oakland

By Michael Macagnone

Police are investigating three unrelated incidents that occurred in Oakland over the weekend,… Police are investigating three unrelated incidents that occurred in Oakland over the weekend, including two armed robberies and a report of shots fired.

No one was injured in the incidents and city police have taken the lead in the investigations. Pitt police have posted notices about the two armed robberies around campus.

The first armed robbery occurred on Friday night on the 300 block of Meyran Avenue just before 11 p.m. The victim said that a man approached him with a black handgun and demanded money, according to police.

Police said the victim cooperated and the suspect then fled down Meyran Avenue toward Bates Street.

The crime alert described the suspect as a black man about 25 years old, 5 feet 10 inches tall and about 175 pounds. He was wearing dark jeans, a black or dark-blue sweatshirt, red and white Nike shoes and a black mask, according to the alert.

Police posted notices for the first armed robbery on Pitt buildings around lower campus, including Bouquet Gardens Apartments. Anyone with information was encouraged to call city police and reference CCR #10-280165 or call Pitt police and reference report number 10-03243.

A little more than an hour after the first incident on Friday — just after midnight — three men approached a man on Centre Avenue near University Drive. According to police, one man produced a silver-colored handgun, and a second punched the victim in the face and then demanded the victim’s wallet.

Police said that the victim handed over his wallet, and the suspects fled down Centre Avenue toward Bigelow Boulevard.

According to a crime alert posted on the Pitt police website, the armed suspect was a thin black man about 5 feet 7 inches tall, wearing a dark hooded sweatshirt and a skullcap or beanie. The alert described the other two suspects as black men wearing dark hooded sweatshirts.

People with information about the incident were encouraged to call Pitt police at 412-624-2121 and reference report number 10-03244.

Following the incidents, Police advised students and faculty members to travel with a friend or in a group, especially at night. The crime alert also advised students to always be aware of their surroundings and to avoid carrying excess cash.

Also, if threatened with a gun or other weapon, police advised students to cooperate with their assailant and do their best to get an accurate description.

The alerts said that students should report crimes promptly, along with any other suspicious activity.

A few minutes before 3 a.m. Sunday morning, police responded to a call of shots fired into a car on Forbes Avenue, outside of the 7-Eleven. Pitt police said that it was unclear if the suspect used real rounds or blanks, and that Pitt police were assisting the city police department in its investigation of the incident.

No one was hurt at the call on Forbes Avenue or in the other two incidents.