Protesters smash windows of two Oakland banks

By Olivia Garber

City police think protesters might have caused nearly $100,000 in damage by smashing the windows… City police think protesters might have caused nearly $100,000 in damage by smashing the windows of two Oakland banks last night, just hours after a man was sentenced to six to 18 months in prison for breaking windows during last year’s G-20 Summit.

Diane Richards, a city police spokeswoman, said in an e-mail that police received a call about a group of people protesting near the intersection of Forbes and Bellefield avenues about 8:15 p.m. yesterday. Shortly later, they heard that the protesters smashed out the windows at two banks.

Police found 13 smashed windows at the PNC Bank located near Fifth Avenue and Craig Street and two broken windows at the Citizens Bank across the street, she said.

Everyone ran when the police arrived, and no descriptions were taken. Police are not yet certain why the windows were smashed.

“However, it is suspected — not confirmed — that this activity may have been in response to the G-20 actor (David Japenga) who was sentenced to 6-18 months incarceration for breaking numerous windows during the Pittsburgh Summit,” Richards said in the e-mail.

Multiple security cameras near the scene might have caught footage, Richards said. The Zone 4 city police, who cover Oakland, will investigate.