Football: Knox hearing postponed

By Greg Trietley

Pittsburgh Municipal Court delayed the preliminary hearing of former Pitt football player Jeff… Pittsburgh Municipal Court delayed the preliminary hearing of former Pitt football player Jeff Knox on Thursday after his attorney requested a postponement.

Knox is due back in court Nov. 18 on charges stemming from an incident on Chatham University’s campus this past September.

The 18-year-old former Panthers safety faces misdemeanor charges of disorderly conduct, simple assault and recklessly endangering another person after he allegedly assaulted a woman who told him she was pregnant, according to a criminal complaint filed in court.

Knox also faces an additional felony charge for intimidation of witnesses or victims, as well as a harassment misdemeanor. In a second criminal complaint filed on Sept. 24, one day after the first complaint, the victim claimed she received numerous calls from people who tried to persuade her to drop the charges.

In the complaint, the victim saidthat people called her and a witness on the behalf of Knox to ask that she drop the charges so he could attend another school. She also said she was told that Knox planned to return to her dormitory, the site of the first incident in question.

The document also states that the victim obtained an emergency Protection from Abuse Order against Knox.

Knox’s lawyer declined to comment on Thursday’s court proceedings. A postponement was requested because of a scheduling conflict, a court official said.

Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt dismissed Knox from the football team on Sept. 23.

The Pitt News does not release the names of assault victims.