Delta Spirit stays eclectic

By Liz Keeney

Delta Spirit

Brillobox

Today at 9… Delta Spirit

Brillobox

Today at 9 p.m.

Tickets $16

412-621-4900

“Punk visual thrash.”

That’s the only way Delta Spirit bassist Jon Jameson can describe his band’s style of music.

Founded roughly five years ago, Delta Spirit has developed its own genre of folk-tinged punk — a sound that has lately been gaining notice in indie-rock circles.

Jameson and drummer Brandon Young said the boys of Delta Spirit — named after Jameson’s uncle’s taxidermy store — formed the band out of sheer coincidence. After Young met lead singer Matt Vasquez while Vasquez was singing on the street, Young, Vasquez and Jameson began performing together. Soon, former producer Kelly Winrich was added to the lineup.

“Things worked out really well. We all knew we wanted to play together,” Jameson said of the band’s formation. “[Music] isn’t the easiest way to make money, but we keep trying to make a career out of it.”

After touring with bands like Dr. Dog and Cold War Kids, Delta Spirit’s soulful Americana-meets-punk formula has become increasingly popular across the country — even as their music continues to evolve.

“It’s kind of ever-changing,” Young said of the band’s style. “But every record is very loud and experimental.”

Delta Spirit’s lyrics have a distinct spiritual element. Young insists that the band isn’t interested in religion in itself, but more the path to discovering one’s personal beliefs.

“[Our] songs are somewhat spiritual, but I don’t think Matt ever sits down with a set idea. It’s more about searching for something — Matt being a believer one day and an atheist the next,” Young said.

Jameson added that although Delta Spirit’s albums don’t have one over-arching theme, its lyrics are intended to have some sort of take-away message, albeit one that’s usually open for interpretation.

“It’s different every time. Songs are mysterious; you can’t demand a theme from them. There’s not one theme, but most songs have some sort of a meaning. We want some depth but we’re not scouring the headlines to come up with stuff. We’re just looking in our hearts,” Jameson said.

Since they first began playing together, the members of Delta Spirit have undergone several developments — including two changes in the lineup, numerous tours and two full-length albums — that they hope will make them stronger performers and composers.

“It’s hard learning how to live with four guys with four different personalities, but it helps to develop ourselves as a band. It’s always a funny thing,” Jameson said. “We don’t always agree, and we’re always changing or drawn to new things. Different expressions of culture and thought. We have different and hopefully broader perspectives.”

“Every record will be completely different. We don’t want an agenda. Who knows what will happen next, but hopefully it’ll be whatever is exciting,” Young said.