‘Funny Story’ is half amusing

By Jeffrey Ihaza

“It’s Kind of a Funny Story”

Starring: Keir Gilchrist, Zach Galifianakis

Directed… “It’s Kind of a Funny Story”

Directed by: Anna Boden, Ryan Fleck

Focus Features

Grade: B

The protagonist, Craig, in “It’s Kind of a Funny Story” can be found in just about every American high school: He’s overstressed, insecure and unhealthily obsessed with future success.

In that respect, at least, Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck’s dramedy film “It’s Kind of a Funny Story” tells a tale of trials and tribulations that we can all relate to.

The film begins with Craig (Keir Gilchrist) riding his bicycle toward the middle of the Brooklyn Bridge, where he plans to jump. His parents promptly appear to remind him how emotionally damaging his suicide would be for the family. Craig immediately wakes up from this ostensible dream and rides his bike to the hospital to check into the mental clinic. While at the clinic, he battles with the realization that his problems aren’t so overwhelming and tries to sort his life into some semblance of order.

While at the clinic, Craig meets Bobby (Zach Galifianakis), an apparent foil to his character. Whereas Craig’s suicidal tendencies are brought about by what he feels are insurmountable odds, Bobby’s tendencies come from more concrete mental problems. Galifianakis gives a performance akin to Steve Carell’s in “Little Miss Sunshine.” While he still conveys the quirkiness that made America fall in love with him, he delves impressively deeper by channeling a darker, more troubled side.

In fact, the entire cast gives exceptional performances. Gilchrist’s mannerisms are well attuned to Craig’s insecurities, and the supporting cast complements him perfectly.

Not so expertly, the film consists of certain cinematic flourishes like a full-length music video and live action postcards — a bag-of-tricks style of production that, more than anything, serves as a detriment, creating awkward scene transitions and confusing moments.

Additionally, whereas Craig’s plight seems realistic, the plight of mental patients is taken a bit too lightly. The characters in the hospital are portrayed as a bunch of happy-go-lucky people unconcerned with their own problems. This element of lightheartedness detracts from the believability of the characters. The film also has its obligatory romantic element, full of montages of running through hallways that will remind you of “500 Days of Summer.”

It’s not entirely original or believable, so “It’s Kind of a Funny Story” is just as the title suggests: “kind of” funny.