Letter to the Editor | Congregation Dor Hadash disappointed that anti-trans speaker will appear at Pitt next week

Image via Foreign and Commonwealth Office, Wikimedia Commons

The Transgender Pride Flag flies on the Foreign Office building in London on Transgender Day of Remembrance, Nov. 20, 2017.

By Bruce Hershlag, president of Congregation Dor Hadash

To the Editor:

I write on behalf of Congregation Dor Hadash, Pittsburgh’s Reconstructionist synagogue. Our members include University of Pittsburgh students, alumni, staff and faculty, and Pitt is an important part of our local community.  

Our members also include transgender individuals, and Dor Hadash, like most Jewish organizations, stands in solidarity with all trans people. As such, it goes without saying that we are greatly disappointed that an individual who espouses hateful views about trans individuals will speak at the University on April 18.  

As Jews, we wanted to add some important context. This year, April 18 coincides with Yom HaShoah, a day of mourning and remembrance commemorating all those lost in the Holocaust.  As you may know, the Nazis brutally targeted and decimated not only Europe’s Jews but several other groups, including the trans community.  

We are horrified that trans individuals are now being targeted in the United States, both through opportunistic, politically pandering legislation and hateful speech. We hope that all members of the broader Pitt community share in condemning these developments, and will take some time on April 18 to remember all those lost in the Holocaust and reflect on the importance of standing up now for our trans friends and family members. 

Bruce Hershlag, President

Congregation Dor Hadash