BREAKING: Sodexo, union reach agreement

By Michael Macagnone

On-campus food provider Sodexo reached an agreement with the local union representing some of… On-campus food provider Sodexo reached an agreement with the local union representing some of its workers, and a federal investigation into the company’s labor practices has ended, a federal official said.

Mark Wirick, acting regional director of the National Labor Relations Board’s Pittsburgh office, said Sodexo reached an agreement Tuesday with members of the Service Employees International Local 32BJ, which represents about 200 workers on Pitt’s campus.

Wirick said he could not release the terms of the settlement. He said that the settlement would be distributed to the employer and posted at the workplace shortly.

“I’m not going to guarantee this week,” Wirick said. “But it will be soon.”

He said that the matter was largely settled, at least from the board’s end.

“Now it’s a matter of paperwork being circulated,” he said.

The National Labor Relations Board, a federal group that regulates and investigates labor issues, has been investigating the case against the food services provider since the end of March.

The Service Employees International Union Local 32BJ, which brought allegations on behalf of non-unionized workers on campus, claimed in an official complaint that Sodexo made coercive statements, including threats, and interrogated its workers.

Sodexo representatives neither confirmed nor denied the allegations in the past. They said they were cooperating with the investigation.