Frontier Ruckus releases their sophomore album

By Bethie Girmai

Frontier Ruckus

Deadmalls & Nightfalls

Label:… Frontier Ruckus

Deadmalls & Nightfalls

Label: Ramseur Records

Grade: B

Frontier Ruckus, one of the breakout stars at this year’s Bonnaroo music and arts festival, impressed folk-rock music fans with the release of its second full-length album, Deadmalls and Nightfalls, late this summer.

The band is comprised of Matthew Milia on vocals, guitar, harmonica and pedal steel guitar; David W. Jones on banjo, Dobro and vocals; Ryan “Smalls” Etzcorn on drums and percussion and Zachary Nichols, playing singing saw, trumpet, alto horn, euphonium and melodica.

The Detroit-based band burst onto the folk-rock music scene with its 2007 debut, The Orion Songbook. Its sophomore album evokes comparisons to artists like Jackie Greene and Bob Dylan. On certain tracks on the album, Milia’s vocals even channel those of Counting Crows frontman Adam Duritz.

While Deadmalls and Nightfalls is a contemporary spin on folk-rock music, it’s lacking in areas that a listener won’t be able to ignore. Although the instrumentals are inventive and the lyrics have depth, Milia’s throaty voice fails to measure up. Furthermore, though the band remains consistent throughout the album, some of the songs’ similarities cause them to blend together.

It might be a hit or miss with fans of Top 40 music, but Deadmalls & Nightfalls is sure to strike a chord with folk-rock fans.