Another year, another Pitt convocation

By John Manganaro

For a few hours Wednesday afternoon the streets of Central Oakland ceased to swarm with incoming… For a few hours Wednesday afternoon the streets of Central Oakland ceased to swarm with incoming freshman and their parents as Chancellor Mark Nordenberg and other Pitt administrators hosted this year’s convocation ceremony.

About 3,000 freshmen students packed the Petersen Events Center at 3 p.m., listening respectfully and attentively as the University’s top administrators, alumni and student leaders invited Pitt’s newest class to grow and learn in as many ways as possible.

New Provost Patricia Beeson, participating in her first convocation in her role as chief academic officer, started the ceremony. She reminded the new students that Pitt has been around for almost as long as the United States itself and has contributed a great deal to the nation’s prosperity during that time.

“I’m honored and humbled to welcome the class of 2014,” Beeson said. “We’ve been welcoming new students to our community for over 225 years now. Over those years, each class has made its own indelible mark on the University and on our whole society. We are sure this newest class will not disappoint, for it is among the brightest we have so far seen.”

Beeson promptly introduced Nordenberg, participating in his 15th convocation, who spoke for about 20 minutes about the best ways to “find a niche at Pitt.”

Nordenberg warned about the dangers of drug and alcohol abuse and implored students to worry about not only their academics, but also about their physical and social health.

“We know that some amazing and inspiring individuals will emerge from within this group to continue Pitt’s long and gloried history,” Nordenberg said. “We also know that each public accomplishment your class makes will be accompanied by tens of thousands of more personal victories that are every bit as important.”

Vice Provost and Dean of Students Kathy Humphrey spoke after Nordenberg. Her speech included all the energy and charisma Humphrey is know for around campus. This fall, she was able to relate personally to the many parents also in attendance – Humprey’s twin sons moved to college this year.

“It is never easy to think of what you, as new members of our Pitt community, need to hear the most,” Humphrey said. “I could see it with my sons, and so I know many of you see the decision to attend Pitt as the biggest so far in your life. Rest assured, you have chosen one of the top public institutions in this country.”

SGB President Charlie Shull wrapped up the ceremony by leading the “Pitt Promise,” and by 5 p.m. Pitt’s community had officially grown by a few thousand.