Committee furthers recommendations for new Pitt Board of Trustees members

By John Manganaro

No University higher-ups showed for Wednesday’s nomination meeting in Posvar Hall, but… No University higher-ups showed for Wednesday’s nomination meeting in Posvar Hall, but that didn’t stop them from recommending a small cadre of Pitt alums for various positions.

The Board of Trustees Nominating Committee’s decisions, made over a conference call, require a vote from the full board before taking effect. The selections are likely to pass when the board meets June 25.

Recommendations made by the absentee committee included a number of reelection bids for various Board of Trustees positions, a promotion and a new appointment.

“These recommendations will strengthen our already outstanding board of trustees,” said Chancellor Mark Nordenberg, who joined the call as part of the committee.

Notable among the recommendations was the committee’s decision to appoint alumnus Tracey Travis, who currently serves as senior vice president of finance and chief financial officer for the Polo Ralph Lauren Corporation, to a position on the board of trustees.

In her position with Ralph Lauren, Travis helps oversee the corporation’s $5 billion in annual revenue. Pitt Chancellor Nordenberg hopes her skills will help steer the University through today’s rocky financial times.

“Tracey Travis has been honored as one of Pitt’s most distinguished graduates, is one of the country’s leading financial professionals and is a visible and respected presence in the international business community,” Nordenberg said.

Committee members also recommended alum H. Lee Noble, retired executive vice president of the Bayer Corporation, for a position as an emeritus trustee. Noble was a longtime commonwealth member of the board of trustees until he retired in February 2010. The recommended promotion would allow him to further contribute to Pitt’s progress, Nordenberg said.

“Through his long tenure of the board and in a variety of other ways, Lee Noble has made significant contributions to [the University],” Nordenberg said. “Through his election…we will continue to benefit from his service.”

The nominating committee is charged with the responsibility of presenting recommendations to the full board of trustees for officers, trustees and other positions.