Voting begins in high-profile primaries Tuesday

By Michael Macagnone

Tomorrow morning, polls open for the 2010 Pennsylvania primary elections.

Polls open at 7… Tomorrow morning, polls open for the 2010 Pennsylvania primary elections.

Polls open at 7 a.m. statewide and close at 8 p.m.

Among the most contentious races that Allegheny County will vote in are a contest between Sen. Arlen Specter and Rep. Joe Sestak, who are fighting for the Democratic Party’s nomination to run for the U.S. Senate, and a four-way race for the Democratic nomination for governor. Allegheny County Executive Dan Onorato, Montgomery County Commissioner Joe Hoeffel, Pennsylvania Auditor General Jack Wagner and state Sen. Anthony Williams, of Philadelphia, are running for the Democratic nomination.

Coming into the Tuesday primary, State Attorney General Tom Corbett and former Rep. Pat Toomey have considerable leads in polls over their opponents for the republican nomination for governor and senator, respectively. Tom Corbett’s opponent is State Rep. Sam Rohrer, who represents Reading, and Pat Toomey’s opponent is Peg Luksik, the founder of Mom’s House charity, which helps single parents finish school.

A list of polling places, several of which are on or near campus, can be found using the using the Polling Place Locator at www.county.allegheny.pa.us/elect.

Most city services will continue uninterrupted, and Port Authority bus service will operate on its normal schedule. All county offices and courts except for the Allegheny County Elections Board will be closed for the day, according to a press release from Kevin Evanto, spokesman for County Executive Dan Onorato.

Check pittnews.com for election coverage Tuesday night.