Burgos: McNabb’s trade marks end of era

By Evan Burgos

A few big stories popped up in sports sections around the country this week that caught my… A few big stories popped up in sports sections around the country this week that caught my eye. I couldn’t decide which to write about, so I decided to write about all three.

No. 5 takes a hike

Next season, for the first time in this millennium, Donovan McNabb won’t be the starting quarterback for the Philadelphia Eagles. He’s been traded to the Washington Redskins, a team in the same division as the Birds.

Wait, what? Did I just write that? Sounds crazy, but it’s true. Some way, some how, the Eagles decided that it would be a good idea to ship the most prolific play caller in franchise history, a player who led the team to five NFC Championships and one Super Bowl appearance, to a team that they are guaranteed to play twice every season.

Most Philly fans had long since realized that the Eagles would eventually deal McNabb. No one thought he would be traded to a division rival. And at being unceremoniously thrown out with a year left on his contract, McNabb has to be the one person most psyched about the move.

McNabb never got a fair shake in Philadelphia, despite being the winningest quarterback in team history. The Eagles were straight dynasty-esque during McNabb’s tenure. They dominated the NFC for years, and although they lost in their one Super Bowl appearance to the Patriots, McNabb probably did more with less than any player in the league over the past two decades.

After Tom Brady and Peyton Manning (in no particular order), McNabb was the third best quarterback of his era. He produced a winner every year. I have little doubt that McNabb loved his time in Philly, but I can already see him licking his chops to play his former team come fall just to stick it to all the haters. Consider it a watered-down version of Brett Favre’s situation last year with the Vikings and Packers.

Still there’s no doubt about one thing: Philadelphia sports fans witnessed the end of an era this week.

Coach K does it again

By beating Butler Monday, Duke Head Coach Mike Krzyzewski may have pulled off the most improbable championship of his career.

The win was the fourth for Krzyzewski and his first since 2001. But this time, he probably did it with less than in years past. Though Duke has plenty of talent, this year’s outfit was less athletic, played in a weak ACC in which they lost to N.C. State and lacked a Naismith Player of the Year candidate, which Duke teams of old always had.

But they won with defense and senior leadership. This was a team recruited to play four years of college basketball, and that’s what they did. It’s a far cry from the one-and-done culture of college hoops today. For Duke, it was about the total body of work sculpted over several years.

Duke may be easy to hate, but this year, they deserve to be champions.

Tiger at Augusta

So this was the week before Tiger Woods’ big re-emergence tournament at the Masters starting today. Can you remember a time an athlete’s comeback was so hotly anticipated? Maybe when His Airness came back wearing No. 45 for the Bulls, but this scenario is different.

Tiger has been roasted by anybody with an opinion during the last four months. His reputation as a standup, squeaky-clean athlete has been buried so deep in the sand trap that not even Woods can chip himself out.

Yet if he plays well this weekend — perhaps even wins what is the most heralded title in pro golf — droves of fans will be hopping back on the bandwagon. It’ll be the ultimate tale of competitive greatness — the greatest golfer of all time staring crisis in the eye and driving it to another galaxy. The story will be immense. He’ll win back some sponsors. And the collective memory of the public at large will become a little more short term.

Now, comes the fun part: We get to watch him play.