Months of Student Health, pharmacy receipts missing

By Liz Navratil

The University is not releasing the details of investigations into how seven months of… The University is not releasing the details of investigations into how seven months of Student Health receipts went missing.

Pitt spokesman John Fedele would not say what prompted an internal investigation in March that showed that credit card and debit card receipts issued at the Student Health Center and its pharmacy from May 1, 2009, through Nov. 30, 2009, were missing.

The Pitt Police are now investigating how the receipts went missing.

Pitt spokesman John Fedele said the University sent letters to all students who used the Student Health or its pharmacy from May through November of last year. He did not say how many students used those services during that time.

The letter sent to students reported that the missing receipts contained the names, credit or debit card numbers, card expiration dates and transaction dates of purchases made in Student Health.

“Because this is an ongoing investigation, we won’t be commenting beyond the statement we issued,” he said in an e-mail.

The letter, which was signed by Vice Provost and Dean of Students Kathy Humphrey, said the receipts did not have anyone’s medical information, security authentication codes or other “identifying” information. The notice applied only to students who used credit or debit cards between May and November, the letter said.

Fedele said in a separate statement Friday that the University “has received no evidence that patient or customer card accounts have been accessed by unauthorized persons or otherwise misused.”

Junior Alex Loutsenko said he received the letter last week. When he went to Student Health last October, he didn’t use his debit card.

“I’ll still go if it’s free,” he said of Student Health. “I won’t give them my debit card.”

Freshman Jared Schprechman said he received an envelope from the University last week.

“I thought I was in trouble,” he said.

Then, he opened it and read the letter from Humphrey.

Schprechman, who went to Student Health in the fall to receive a flu shot, said he wasn’t overly worried because he’s never heard of Student Health receipts going missing before.

A few students who didn’t receive the letters seemed to be more concerned.

Senior Jordan DeVaughn said she found the news “unsettling” and “scary” and that she would “think twice” before going to Student Health again.

“We’re surrounded by hospitals,” she said, noting her other options.

Humphrey’s letter encouraged students to monitor their account statements closely and to report initial fraud alerts to one of three credit bureaus — Experian, (888) 397-3724; Equifax, (800) 525-6285; or TransUnion, (800) 680-7289.

Students can report fraudulent account activity to their local police or to the Pitt police, who are handling the investigation, the letter said. The Pitt police can be reached at (412) 624-2121.

Students with questions can call a toll-free hotline at (866) 884-7488 or e-mail Student Health at [email protected]. They will need the code number at the top of their letter, the letter said.