Lieberman: Taking an early glance at Big East football

By Randy Lieberman

The taste surely can’t be too far removed from Pitt fans’ mouths.

In the… The taste surely can’t be too far removed from Pitt fans’ mouths.

In the snow, on the final drive after a missed (Botched! Fumbled!) extra point attempt, the Cincinnati Bearcats stormed down the Heinz Field turf. It was there they celebrated a 45-44 victory, and subsequently the Big East Championship.

Guess what, ladies and gentlemen. Big East football is back, and boy has it changed.

Here’s everything you need to know, team-by-team in order of last year’s standings, for this new season in Big East football.

Cincinnati

Last year’s record: 12-1 (7-0)

Key Departures: WR Mardy Gilyard, QB Tony Pike, coach Brian Kelly

Key Addition: WR Vidal Hazelton

Key Returnee: QB Zach Collaros

The defending Big East Champion Bearcats enter this season with a new coach, a new 4-3 scheme on defense, a new quarterback and plenty of youth in backup roles. That being said, the returning core of Collaros, wide receiver Armon Binns and runningback Isaiah Pead could give Cincinnati another year of incendiary offense. Senior Hazelton is the key. The transfer out of Southern California sat out last season yet was reported to have dominated in practice. His chemistry with Collaros could hinder or boost Cincinnati’s offense. Still, it’s tough to win while learning a new system under new coach Butch Jones. Playing Oklahoma the fourth game of the year doesn’t help either. Yet, it wouldn’t surprise me to see the Bearcats right in the race once again for the Big East Championship in the last weeks of the season.

2010 Prediction: Overall 8-4, Big East (4-3)

Pittsburgh

Last year’s record: 10-3 (5-2)

Key Departures: QB Bill Stull, TE Dorin Dickerson, CB Aaron Berry

Key Addition: CB Saheed Imoru

Key Returnee: RB Dion Lewis

The Panthers return plenty of talent, especially in junior Greg Romeus, co-Defensive Player of the Year, and sophomore Jonathan Baldwin. But key losses in the secondary, notably Berry and Jovani Chappel, leave the Panthers looking at inexperience to fill those starting roles. Enter Imoru, a junior-college transfer from Houston and senior Ricky Gary. The downgrades in the secondary and at defensive tackle where Mick Williams, the other co-Defensive Player of the Year, and Gus Mustakas used to wreak havoc shouldn’t be enough to sink this team. Whoever takes over at quarterback, whether it’s sophomore Tino Sunseri or senior Pat Bostick, should have plenty of weapons and a reliable running game, with Lewis and sophomore Ray Graham to lean on. Pitt is a popular pre-season pick to win the Big East.

2010 Prediction: 9-3 (5-2)

West Virginia

Last year’s record: 9-4, (5-2)

Key Departure: QB Jarrett Brown

Key Addition: None

Key Returnees: RB Noel Devine, S Robert Sands

Sands has enormous potential, as a 6-foot-6, 215-pound safety, he can deck a cement wall if he so chooses. He’s a huge returnee to a defense that returns most of its key players from last year, including junior defensive tackle Chris Neild. The big question for the Mountaineers, as for most teams in the league, is at quarterback. It’s going to be a contest, between sophomores Geno Smith and Coley White. Smith played last year, going 32-of-49 for one touchdown and one pick, but coaches insist it’s open competition this spring. West Virginia is going to have a great running attack with Devine and a stalwart defense thanks to returning players on both lines, at linebacker and in the secondary. They’ll be in the thick of the hunt come December.

2010 Prediction: 10-2 (6-1)

Rutgers

Last year’s record: 9-4 (3-4)

Key Departure: LB Ryan D’Imperio

Key Addition: OL Antwan Lowery

Key Returnees: QB Tom Savage, WR Mohammed Sanu

In a league where quarterback experience is at a premium, Rutgers has Savage who played in all but one of the Scarlet Knights’ games last season as a freshman. Savage has Sanu as an outstanding weapon in the passing game, but someone besides the 6-foot-1 former safety has to step up. That job belongs to either freshman Mark Harrison or senior Julian Hayes. Neither impressed last year, so who knows which one will emerge. Either way, Rutgers returns a bunch of talent on the defensive side, especially on the defensive line. It’s a young team, but in the past, young inexperienced defenses often got overshadowed by strong quarterback play (Cincinnati last year). Savage is the type of quarterback that can do that. With Savage playing strong, the Scarlet Knights are, in my mind, the favorites to capture the conference crown.

2010 Prediction: 11-1 (6-1)

Connecticut

Last year’s record: 8-5 (3-4)

Key Departure: S Robert Vaughn

Key Addition: P Chad Christen

Key Returnees: QB’s Zach Frazer, Cody Endres

The Huskies come off a rocky, tragedy-stricken year to boast one of the tougher schedules in the Big East. An opening-week visit to Ann Arbor to play the Wolverines starts things off, while a visit to Temple and a home game against Vanderbilt also come before the Big East slate begins. Connecticut returns its quarterback tandem in Frazer and Endres, as well as a bunch of starters on both sides of the ball. It looks like Connecticut doesn’t have a standout recruit that will make an immediate impact. The key to this team is its pass defense. Connecticut was last in the Big East in pass defense, and lost its best cover man in Vaughn. Their success will ride on how well replacements at safety and corner perform this year.

2010 Prediction: 8-4 (4-3)

South Florida

Last year’s record: 8-5 (3-4)

Key Departure: QB Matt Grothe, DE George Selvie

Key Addition: Coach Skip Holtz

Key Returnee: QB B.J. Daniels

Daniels returns to a team caught in a transition year. Holtz will bring a recruiting prowess he’s shown at previous positions, including his last one at East Carolina University. But changes in philosophy could put this team in a rebuilding/evaluation phase early this year. One thing that could potentially kill the Bulls’ season -— if they do get off to a great start — is a lack of depth. Just look at the quarterback position. If Daniels goes down, there’s a walk-on and a true freshman waiting in the wings to back him up. Yikes. The Bulls better pray Daniels isn’t hurt. Either way, I predict this is a rebuilding year under Holtz, one that will focus on developing players for success in the years to come.

2010 Prediction: 4-9 (2-5)

Louisville

Last year’s record: 4-8 (1-6)

Key Departure: FB Joe Tronzo

Key Addition: coach Charlie Strong

Key Returnee: QB’s Adam Froman, Justin Burke, Will Stein

New head coach Strong wants to instill more toughness in the Cardinals. He’s running more one-on-one drills and pitting defensive players against offensive players in mini battles during practice. Strong came from Florida, so it’s a good bet he knows what he’s doing as far as coaching. But even the best coach couldn’t win with the doughnut hole of talent on Louisville this season. The quarterback battle is wide open, with competition starting between Louisville’s three different starters from last season and a fourth incoming freshman. The spread-style offense that Florida ran to perfection the last couple of years might favor Adam Froman. Either way, this team doesn’t have the talent to compete for the title.

2010 Prediction: 3-9 (1-6)

Syracuse

Last year’s record: 4-8 (1-6)

Key Departure: QB Greg Paulus

Key Addition: None

Key Returnee: RB Noel Devine, S Robert Sands

Finally, Syracuse won’t do much to destroy its label as the perennial bottom feeders of the Big East. The departure of Paulus is almost a blessing in disguise for a team that led the league in interceptions thrown (15). It’s time for sophomore Ryan Nassib to take over, but he doesn’t have many places to throw the ball. Most of Syracuse’s receivers are gone because of transfers, suspensions, resignations and graduations. One big change on offense, however, is head coach Doug Marrone appointing himself as offensive coordinator. The last time he was an offensive coordinator, he led Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints to sky-high point totals. Nassib isn’t Drew Brees, but hey, I’m just saying. It could spell improvement.

2010 Prediction: 3-8 (1-6)