University encourages support for Google Fiber

By Lindsay Carroll

The University is encouraging the Pitt community to support a recent city proposal to make… The University is encouraging the Pitt community to support a recent city proposal to make Pittsburgh a “test bed” for a new high-speed Internet network.

The City submitted a proposal to Google to bring Google Fiber, a fiber optic Internet network which runs at one gigabit per second. The new network would “deliver the Internet to our homes at a speed more than 100-times faster than what most of us have access to today,” according to an e-mail sent to Pitt students by Chancellor Mark Nordenberg yesterday.

“For this tremendous opportunity for the city and the University to come to fruition, though, your help is needed,” Nordenberg said.

He said that the technology would enhance Pitt’s distance and online learning capabilities, give faculty and students connectivity needed to manage large data sets, bring opportunities to the city’s art and health industries and “help drive the redevelopment of Pittsburgh even further into a technology-based economy.”

Students can express support for Pittsburgh’s application at pittsburghgoesgoogle.com and click “Add Your Voice” by March 26.

“Google has made it clear that community support will be one of the key factors in its decision on test bed sites, so your help is crucial,” Nordenberg said.