Burgos: The Winter Olympics have not been kind to Canada and Canadians

By Evan Burgos

Leading up to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, the Canadian Olympic Committee launched a… Leading up to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver, the Canadian Olympic Committee launched a $117 million national campaign. It was called “Own the Podium” and was meant to represent the host nation’s conceited approach to the games. The campaign, which reportedly included $66 million in tax dollars, represented Canada’s lofty hopes that — while on home soil — its athletes would showcase to the world that the big country just north of the United States could be the best at something, too.

As the Olympic fortnight nears an end, however, Canada hasn’t owned much of anything. In fact, the ill-fated campaign has done more to tarnish the nation’s reputation than improve it. One could even say that the games have been borderline embarrassing. It began with a tragedy that was all-but-buried in the Whistler snow.

On the eve of the games, during a practice run, Georgian luger Nodar Kumaritashvili, 21, died after crashing into a metal beam. He came out of a sharp turn unduly fast. Though mourned, Kumaritashvili’s death was quickly swept away so as not to linger over the games.

The International Olympic Committee quickly claimed it was a freak accident and that the course, which runs on average 5.5 percent faster than any other in the world, was safe. It was almost convenient that Kumaritashvili was from a small, former Soviet nation, and not some place like the U.S. or Canada, because the swift dismissal and omission of guilt was not loudly questioned. Canada couldn’t afford that blemish to be brought upon its Olympics.

The games were off and running. Throughout the first week of competition, Canada — which had projected itself to be a top competitor at these games — faltered. As of Wednesday, Canada was fifth in total medals with 11, while the U.S. was first with 26. The heavily-favored Canadian men’s hockey team lost to an inexperienced young American outfit and failed to get a bye in the elimination round.

Monday, the Canadian Olympic Committee announced that it was officially ditching its highly-touted podium goal. Canada had hoped to improve on the 24 medals it won at the Turin games four years ago, but wasn’t even half-way there. It was embarrassed. For once, the quiet country north of the border had decided to be a little cocky, and it got burned for it. Instead, these games are on par with previous Olympics in Canada.

At both the 1976 Summer Montreal Olympics and the 1988 Calgary Winter Olympics, Canada failed to win a single gold medal. The country has never been the medal leader at any Olympics in history. In actuality, this year’s Games has been an American-dominated Olympics. We have the star power in Lindsey Vonn, Shaun White, Shani Davis and Apollo Anton Ohno.

We’re leading the field in medals — and, apparently, making Canada feel more inferior than it thought possible. “If we knew what they were doing, we’d be doing it too,” said Michael Chambers — the president of the Canadian Olympic Committee — to the Toronto Sun this week. “The U.S. is having a tremendous Games. They are making it very tough for us. I’m very impressed by what I’ve seen from their team.”

Although everyone in Vancouver would like to have you forget, Kumaritashvili — the unknown athlete, from a small nation, who happened to die — might very well be the enduring image of these Olympics. His death serves as a microcosm for the games as a whole.

The luge course that claimed Kumaritashvili’s life was built in haste, and the “Own the Podium” campaign was advertised brazenly. The track has since been altered with the addition of a new wall and padding at the fatal turn — alterations that could have, and should have, been made long before the course was ever raced.

“Own the Podium” was put to rest with a hush and whisper. Perhaps this is idealistic thinking, but something tells me that both tragic failures should have been foreseen — and, since they weren’t, these Olympics will very likely peter out with a heavy dose of shame for O’Canada.