Self-proclaimed ‘greatest rock band’ comes to Pittsburgh

By Christina Ranalli

Supersuckers

Altar Bar

Feb. 23, 8 p.m.

$15

ticketmaster.com

Most great bands come with a… Supersuckers

Altar Bar

Feb. 23, 8 p.m.

$15

ticketmaster.com

Most great bands come with a name that reflects its members.

The Doors was named after the German Bauhaus art movement. Black Sabbath was named after a 1963 horror film. Supersuckers, however, was named after some “quality adult literature,” according to lead singer Eddie Spaghetti, born Edward Carlyle Daly III.

A name can say a lot about a band, or it can say nothing at all, which Spaghetti found out the hard way.

“We come across as being not-so-serious. We don’t take rock that seriously, but I mean our name is the Supersuckers. We brought that sh*t on ourselves,” Spaghetti said.

“Our stupidity works for us. It helps us to not see how futile and senseless this whole endeavor can be,” he said.

The real relief is not only that they’re still enjoying themselves, but that the self-proclaimed “greatest rock ’n’ roll band in the world” will melt your face off tonight at the Altar Bar. The doors open at 7 p.m., and the show starts at 8.

The four-person band, which has been together for over 22 years, started out in Tucson, Ariz., playing garage punk not because the band members were good at it, but because they “liked to hang out together.”

After their first year together, they threw on their leather jackets and moved to Seattle, Wash. Shortly after, Eddie Spaghetti took over the role of lead vocals when lead singer —and former fifth member — Eric Martin left the band.

“I think we found [our sound] right away. We just stumbled upon it when we were drinking heavily and young and dumb,” he said.

In 1995, with seven years and two albums under their large-buckled belts, guitarist Ron Heathman briefly departed from the group, sparking its so-called “legacy of confusion.” Upon his return, Supersuckers once again ignited its devilishly aggressive rockabilly style, which you might enjoy even more if, in the words of Spaghetti, “you feel stupid” when listening. The band went on to produce 15 more celebrated albums.

“Everything has changed,” Spaghetti said. “We still enjoy hanging out, but it’s not the same group of guys it used to be.”

In October, history repeated itself, and Heathman left once again. This time, it was for good.

“We’re still going to run the legacy of confusion without him. There is no getting around that, but we’re hopeful that people will understand what we’ve been going through, will be supportive and will give us a break,” he said.

You don’t hear abandoned uncertainty streaming through the speakers this time around, though. What you hear is Marty Chandler — the new addition to Supersuckers’ ongoing rock party.

“[Marty]’s already brought a lot to the table. He’s brought a new theory to the band and energized our live show quite a bit. It’s a shot in the arm to have him for sure,” Spaghetti said.

A new guitarist isn’t the only change the band is dealing with.

After recently putting what Spaghetti calls Supersuckers’ independent “do-it-yourself-crap” label — Mid-Fi Records — on pause, the band once again has to deal with “the middleman.”

“We’re hoping we don’t make the same mistakes we made in the past in that regard. We’re being very careful with our selection,” he said.

After 22 years of learning from mistakes, Supersuckers still exists, which is more than one can say for many other bands.

If you want to improve your odds of running into the band members at tonight’s concert, either head to the T-shirt table after the show or try your luck at Primanti Brothers.

“The good sandwich places like that speak volumes for your city, and it’s open 24 hours — that doesn’t hurt its cause,” Spaghetti said. “You know when you travel as much as we do, it’s the little things like that you look for.”