Women’s Basketball: Panthers look to continue recent winning ways against Seton Hall

By Torie Wytiaz

While the Panthers (14-11, 3-9 Big East) have certainly struggled in conference competition,… While the Panthers (14-11, 3-9 Big East) have certainly struggled in conference competition, their recent two-game win streak has proven a positive step.

Alternatively, the Seton Hall Pirates (9-16, 1-11 Big East) have been unable to respond to the intense level that characterizes Big East women’s basketball and post only one conference victory.

Pitt hosts Seton Hall on Saturday as both teams are desperately seeking a win to help move farther from the Big East basement.

The Panthers, coming off victories against Louisville and Villanova, look to their recent outbreak of balanced scoring to spark offensive production.

In the Louisville contest, Brittaney Thomas, Jania Sims and Taneisha Harrison all contributed double-digit scoring performances in the Panthers’ 72-69 win.

An even more impressive display of scoring distribution took place against Villanova as five Panthers scored more than 10 points, with two players earning double-doubles.

Thomas and Harrison once again reached the double-digit mark and were joined by Shawnice “Pepper” Wilson as well.

Shayla Scott led the Panthers with 18 points and 11 rebounds while Chelsea Cole finished the game with 15 points and a game-high 16 boards.

Cole now ranks as the second rebounder in the Big East while holding the top position as the offensive rebounding leader with four such boards per game.

The Pirates’ sole Big East win came against Villanova on Jan. 30, and since that game Seton Hall has dropped its last three contests.

Part of Seton Hall’s hardships has come in the offensive department, as the Pirates hold the conference lows in field goal percentage and points per game, at 33.6 percent and 51.6, respectively.

Despite these dismal figures on the offensive, sophomore Kandice Green poses a scoring threat as she leads Seton Hall with an average of 13.5 points per game.

Junior Ebonie Williams also contributes to Seton Hall’s scoring from behind the arc with 2.4 long-range baskets per game, the second most in the Big East.

Williams recently became the 19th player in Seton Hall’s history to reach the 1,000-point mark and now sits at number 17 in school scoring totals.

The Panthers have not pieced together a three-game win streak since they began the season with eight consecutive nonconference victories.

With postseason tournament play in question, the Panthers enter the contest against Seton Hall with a must-win mentality.

According to Pitt coach Agnus Berenato, there is little margin for error left for the Panthers who face exclusion from the NCAA Tournament.

“In the Big East, if you win around 18 or 19 games, then you are in [the Tournament],” Berenato said.

With 14 wins and four games remaining in regular season play, the Panthers will need to continue their recent winning ways, beginning against Seton Hall on Saturday at 2 p.m. at the Petersen Events Center.