Women’s basketball: Despite a rough start, Panthers still eye an NCAA Tournament birth

By Torie Wytiaz

In March, the Petersen Events Center will be the site of the madness that surrounds the… In March, the Petersen Events Center will be the site of the madness that surrounds the women’s basketball NCAA Tournament.

The Panthers hope they can take part in the event as more than hosting spectators.

After a 98-56 loss to the No. 1 Connecticut Huskies (21-0, 8-0), the Panthers fell to 12-8 overall, with a 1-6 record in Big East conference play.

With nine games left to play, the Panthers must find a way to overcome their mid-season slump if they hope to secure a spot in the Big Dance.

Head coach Agnus Berenato, who considers herself “an optimistic person,” maintains that her Panthers have a legitimate chance to make the 64-team tournament and play in front of a home crowd.

“I totally believe that Pitt will be selected [to the Tournament] and I never once thought differently,” she said.

When the University received the vote to host the first and second rounds of the tournament, Berenato saw an opportunity to strengthen Pitt’s women’s basketball program, but a large part of that progress hinged on the Panthers playing in March.

“This is so important for us to have the Tournament at home — that our University made a bid to be a host,” Berenato said. “We have talked about it as a team and the players know how important it is for the program.”

The Panthers have made three consecutive appearances in the NCAA Tournament, including back-to-back Sweet 16 performances in 2008 and 2009. With only one senior on the team, the Panther’s roster is filled with players that are familiar with only winning and post-season competition.

However, Berenato does not want her team to face “the daunting task” of finishing the season with nine victories.

“We do not have to go undefeated to make the Tournament,” Berenato said. “In this conference, that would be a reason to not even go to practice.”

The strength of the Big East conference may be an advantage to Pitt in their run for a Tournament selection.

“In the Big East, if you win about 18 or 19 games, then you’re in,” Berenato said. “We have 12, so we just need a few more. Eight or nine teams will make the Tournament from the conference this year.”

In the upcoming week, the Panthers will face Notre Dame and Syracuse, two Big East opponents that reside in the top half of the conference standings.

In order to prepare for this critical point in the season, the Panthers look to continue the elevated levels of confidence and apply lessons learned in the loss to Connecticut.

“Everyone was aggressive and we came out playing hard,” redshirt junior guard Jania Sims said. “People are starting to step out of their comfort zones and take shots that they may not have taken earlier in the season.”

Sims and Berenato appear to be on the same level of optimism as well.

“I will walk into the locker room and shout ‘I’m dancing!’,” Berenato said. “When I do, Jania always yells back ‘I’m dancing, too!’”

Sims and the rest of the Panther team will make their next step toward the Tournament as they welcome Syracuse to the Petersen Events Center on Tuesday at 7 p.m.