Dios affirms identity as prominent indie rock band

By Liz Keeney

Dios

WE ARE DIOS

Buddyhead Records

Rocks Like: Grandaddy, early Beck

Grade:… Dios

WE ARE DIOS

Buddyhead Records

Rocks Like: Grandaddy, early Beck

Grade: B-

Groundbreaking. Revolutionary. Innovative. These are not words I would use to describe WE ARE DIOS, the newest release from California-based band Dios. Does this make the album bad? Of course not.

Mostly famous for havings songs like “You Got Me All Wrong” being featured on that mecca of so-called alternative bands, “The O.C.” soundtrack, Dios’ style is mellow, accessible indie-rock and good for relaxing pursuits such as reading or studying.

WE ARE DIOS is the third record from the band, and though this album is good on its own, it becomes predictable when placed next to their previous recordings.With a neo-psychedelic sound reminiscent of the later Beatles material or early ‘90s Beck, WE ARE DIOS is trippy and strange enough to be interesting, but not original enough to be fresh.

The album starts off slow. The first track, at over five minutes, somehow manages to be both busy and bland.

The first half of the album has a more electronic sound than usual for Dios. While the music isn’t bad, it isn’t a good fit for the band. Things begin to look up halfway through the album, however, when the band switches gears and returns to its more customary organic sound.

Not bad, but still pretty boring over all, WE ARE DIOS, lives up to its name, showcasing exactly the kind of music the band has become known for.