Men’s basketball notebook: The young, the hurt and the ‘messed up’ Jamie Dixon

By Evan Burgos

Youth Movement

You get a lot of player turnover in college sports.. Four years is the maximum… Youth Movement

You get a lot of player turnover in college sports.. Four years is the maximum a player can suit up for a program, and in the cases of star players, it’s often fewer. That is the main issue the Panthers face this season: the departure of four starters, two now donning NBA uniforms and another playing pro ball overseas.

The Panthers’ roster consists of far more freshmen than seniors, with six newbies to only two four-year players, one of whom, Chase Adams, is a transfer. Sophomore Ashton Gibbs and junior Brad Wanamaker figure to be the program’s leaders this season, along with senior Jermaine Dixon, the squad’s only returning starter.

The five probable starters for Friday’s season opener against Wofford have one start in their combined collegiate careers.

It’s a stark contrast to last year, when Pitt started the same five players every game. For many, this would be reason for concern.

Head coach Jamie Dixon doesn’t see it that way.

“We’ve set no limitations,” Dixon said. “Most coaches would be stressing the youth. You’re as young as you want to be, you’re as young as you play. We have no excuses. We decide how good we’re going to be. It’s not our youth, our young guys or where we’re picked.”

Dixon remarked on the importance of timing, patience and execution with this year’s team. With an inexperienced rotation, Dixon said that, at times, players give great effort but still struggle to execute and play with the right timing in the system. Despite that, the coach believes his players will respond well to the challenges of increased responsibility and playing time.

“We’ve got some guys who have played behind very good players last year, and this is their opportunity,” Dixon said. “They have confidence in themselves. We are who we are. I have a lot of confidence in this group and where they will be.”

Players like Gibbs and Wanamaker feel similarly. Both saw some important minutes last season and are ready to be leaders this year. Both are brimming with confidence.

“I’m real anxious. It’s going to be a good season for us,” Gibbs said. “Being a point guard, you want to be a leader. I don’t think [youth] has any factor.”

Wanamaker was even more candid and said he’s gotten a boost from the coaching staff.

“I’m one of the top leaders of the team this year,” Wanamaker said. “Basically, the team goes as I go. I’m really excited about it. Coach keeps preaching me to get it going early, and others will follow my lead. When Coach is telling you things like that, it’s hard not to be excited.”

Dance with the one that brung ya

To continue the success of the team’s last eight seasons, during which they appeared in the NCAA Tournament every year, Dixon will focus his team on what have always been his program’s keystones: rebounding and ball pressure.

Since becoming head coach, Dixon has made it a goal for Pitt to out-rebound its opponents in each game. Last year, Pitt was second in the nation in rebound margin, out-boarding its opponents by an average of 9.3 per game.

The Panthers will lose much production in that area with the departure of DeJuan Blair, but Dixon continues to emphasize the same type of play. This week in practice, the team worked on free throw blockouts, which Dixon said the team did not execute in its exhibition game against Coker. Gibbs said that Dixon stresses increased ball pressure in the backcourt.

One major difference in play this year is that the Panthers will likely feature a three-guard starting rotation. That means that one guard will have to crash on every offensive possession. Last year, both guards would get back on defense.

On the sidelines

Jermaine Dixon still remains out after breaking his right foot in September. The senior guard is no longer wearing a boot on his foot, though. He has not yet practiced with the team, but worked out individually Monday and Tuesday.

Dixon is still limited to stationary jump shooting drills. Jamie Dixon said he is unsure when Jermaine will be able to participate in team practices.

“He has no pain,” the coach stated.

The team also remains without junior Gilbert Brown, who is serving a semester-long academic suspension. He is eligible to rejoin the team Dec. 20.

The absence of both Dixon and Brown exacerbates speculation on youth and experience. When the two return, the team will have to adjust and redevelop chemistry. Both will likely start upon their returns.

Reserve point guard Chase Adams sat out a part of Wednesday’s practice because of an undisclosed injury. The injury is reportedly minor and will not affect his playing time.

Quotable

Jamie Dixon when asked how he felt about the Panthers’ Elite Eight banner to be raised Friday before the season opener:

“Not much really, to be honest. We’re past that. I’m not big on ceremonies. I’m probably messed up in that regard, but it’s how I am and how I look at things.”