Football: Panthers return to top 10 for first time since 1982

By Adam Littman

After a dominating 37-10 win against Syracuse on Saturday, the Pitt football team is ranked in… After a dominating 37-10 win against Syracuse on Saturday, the Pitt football team is ranked in the top 10 this late in a season for the first time since 1982.

The Panthers are ranked No. 8 in the Associated Press poll and No. 9 in the USA Today Coaches poll. They are also No. 12 in the Bowl Championship Series poll, which is Pitt’s highest ranking in that poll since it was created in 1998.

In 1982, the Panthers were the preseason No. 1, but quickly fell to No. 2 the third week of the season behind Washington even though the Panthers hadn’t lost yet. Pitt reclaimed the top spot on Oct. 25, thanks to a 6-0 record. The Panthers won their next game and remained No. 1, then lost to Notre Dame on Nov. 6 and fell to eighth in the nation.

The Panthers finished that season 9-3 and lost in the Cotton Bowl to Southern Methodist University 7-3 in quarterback Dan Marino’s last game as a Panther. Pitt finished that season ranked No. 10.

For the Panthers to remain ranked in the top 10, they’re going to have to beat some quality teams. On Saturday Pitt takes on Notre Dame at Heinz Field, then travels to West Virginia and closes out the year at home against No. 5 Cincinnati.