Lieberman: Pike leads Bearcats to top 10 from home

By Randy Lieberman

Did you know Tony Pike still lives with his parents?

Yep, and he loves his mom’s homemade… Did you know Tony Pike still lives with his parents?

Yep, and he loves his mom’s homemade pasta, lasagna and Italian chicken — the foods he uses to help keep on the extra 25 pounds he gained in the offseason.

The question is, will Pike become the first player to accept the Heisman Trophy while wearing a suit his mom dry-cleaned for him?

Pike has exceeded most experts’ expectations, which were lowest after he threw four interceptions in a 20-7 loss to Virginia Tech in the Orange Bowl last season.

Now, even his coach says he’s still earning respect.

“Tony wasn’t proven before the season, and I think he’s still a work in progress and he has to continue to prove it, week in and week out,” Bearcats coach Brian Kelly said in a teleconference. “He’s a guy that gets back there and throws it. He’s not a zone-read guy.”

Mark Schlabach of ESPN.com gave Pike a 10 percent chance at the player of the year award, which was higher than defending champion Oklahoma quarterback Sam Bradford’s five percent.

Schlabach also acknowledged Pike as the biggest breakthrough performer of the year of all the early Heisman candidates, while completing 70.5 percent of his passes for 1,493 yards, 13 touchdowns and only three interceptions in the season’s first five games.

The Bearcats could easily go undefeated this year, as they play only one ranked opponent (USF in two weeks) the rest of the way. If Pike can command the Bearcats to an undefeated record and a BCS-bowl berth, he won’t be ignored.

But it will be tough for Pike to gain the respect other players like Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy have received because they play in superior conferences — the SEC and Big 12 — respectively.

But come on, wouldn’t you want to see the world’s first home-cooked Heisman?

Pitt Football Question of the Week:

According to ESPN.com’s Jonathan Baldwin profile page, he’s on pace for 1,027 receiving yards, but that would fall well short to this Pitt receiver’s record of 1,672 yards in a season. Who holds the record?

Last week’s answer: Thanks to senior Chad Jandrositz, who knew the last time the Panthers were held under 100 yards rushing was the unforgettable Sun Bowl last year, a 3-0 loss to Oregon State.

Big East Player of the Week (Offensive):

Noel Devine, West Virginia – Devine ran all over Colorado, gaining 220 yards and a touchdown.

Big East Player of the Week (Defensive):

Nate Allen, South Florida – Two weeks in a row for a USF defensive player, but when your defense forces seven turnovers, it’ll get some recognition. Allen had eight tackles and two interceptions.

Rankings of Power – Week 4:

1. Cincinnati (Last week: 37-13 win at Miami (OH)) – It’s like a broken record. Ho-hum, Bearcats win big again, no big deal … but now they’re in the Top 10.

2. South Florida (Last week: 34-20 win at Syracuse) – The Bulls won a wild one against the Orange. Now they’re ranked and get a week off before a huge matchup against Cincinnati.

3. West Virginia (Last week: 35-24 win over Colorado) – The Mountaineers gained a solid win over the Buffaloes, but that defense is still looking suspect against the run.

4. Pitt (Last week: 35-10 win at Louisville) — The Panthers did what they had to do, and now they need to stave off the Huskies to contend for a Big East title.

5. Connecticut (Last week: Bye) – Connecticut has a chance to become an elite team in the Big East with a win over Pitt.

6. Syracuse (Last week: 34-20 loss to South Florida) – To commit seven turnovers and still only lose by two touchdowns is an accomplishment, but the Orange need to correct the mistakes for West Virginia this week.

7. Rutgers (Last week: Bye) — Texas Southern this week? When will Rutgers play a decent team?

8. Louisville (Last week: 35-10 loss to Pitt) – It was a must-win game for the Cardinals, as deemed by some players and coaches, and once again, Louisville missed the mark.

Week 6 Preview:

Connecticut (3-1) at Pitt (4-1, 1-0 Big East): Here’s an early separation game. The winner will be a serious threat in the Big East race.

West Virginia (3-1) at Syracuse (2-3, 0-1): The Mountaineers know how to beat the Orange, as they’ve done so the past six seasons, but this year’s matchup could be a trap for them.

Southern Mississippi (3-2) at Louisville (1-3, 0-1): Apparently they used to be rivals in the 1980s, so there’s a good storyline to this snoozer.

Texas Southern (1-4) at Rutgers (3-1, 0-1): The only reason I’ll bat an eyelash at this game is because it’s my job to write about it.

Byes: No. 8 Cincinnati, No. 24 South Florida

Get your name in the column, e-mail question answers to Randy at [email protected]