Burgos: With week two behind us, 10 things to look for in week three

By Evan Burgos

We’re two weeks deep into the NFL season and here are the 10 things to keep an eye on:

10…. We’re two weeks deep into the NFL season and here are the 10 things to keep an eye on:

10. Nine teams are 2-0 heading into Week Three: the Giants, Vikings, Colts, Ravens, Falcons, 49ers, Broncos, Saints and Jets. The teams that actually have a legit shot at winning it all are the Ravens, Giants and Vikings.

Minnesota only needs Brett Favre to manage the offense and get out of Adrian Peterson’s way. The Giants have a swagger that hasn’t faded from their Super Bowl win in 2007. And if Ray Lewis is going to play like he’s 28, not 34, then the Ravens will win 14 games.

Give a shout to the Niners, though, who are a nice story. They play in a soft conference and have already dropped the defending NFC-champion, the Cardinals. Take note of play caller Shaun Hill, who is 9-3 as a starter.

9. Jay Cutler avoided a fan-and-media bashing of astronomical proportions by beating the Steelers at home. He looked relieved, too. After all, Kyle Orton has the Broncos off to an undefeated start.

8. The Steelers will not repeat as champs this year. The reason? They rank 28th in the league in rushing yards with no downhill between the tackles running back. Everyone knew Willie Parker would be run into the ground early in his career playing in Pittsburgh. Look no further than his 2.4 yards-per-carry this season.

7. Drew Brees has a chance to be the third quarterback since 2005-06 to break the passing touchdown record. He’s tossed nine in the first two weeks and is on pace to throw 72. That won’t happen, but with an offense so dynamic — and coming off a year where he narrowly missed setting the single-season passing-yardage record — 50 isn’t unrealistic.

6. Mike Vick returns to regular season NFL action next week and why not be excited? Most likely, Vick will make little impact for the Eagles this year, but if he breaks two or three big plays this season, it’ll all be worth it. Think what you want about the guy, but the NFL offers little more excitement than Vick scrambling across the field for a 60-yard gain and making it look like cake.

5. Peyton Manning will never again be the type of quarterback to throw 35 or 40 touchdowns in a season, but the guy will grind you to death. Last Monday, Indianapolis had possession of the ball for 14 minutes, 53 seconds to the Dolphins’ 45:07 and somehow won the game, scoring 27 points. Talk about efficient. Peyton is as sound and fundamental a player the league has ever seen.

4. The Patriots’ dynasty run might be officially over. I don’t want to give a knee-jerk reaction simply because they lost to the Jets, but New England should really be 0-2 if it wasn’t for some late-game heroics in Week One. But nine points and no touchdowns? Give the Jets credit, but how do you not get up for a division game on the road with all the trash talk that went on leading up to the game?

3. Tony Romo is nowhere near one of the best quarterbacks in the league. He threw three picks against the Giants — at home — all of which led to touchdowns for New York, costing the Cowboys the game. We’ve seen it time and time again from Romo: the bigger the game, the more turnovers he has. He’s yet to win a postseason game and trends worse and worse as the season goes on. Sure, he’ll chuck three scores with a passer rating of 140 against the Bucs, but at crunch time, I want to be as far away from Romo as possible. Even in that new glitzy stadium of theirs.

2. The best 1-1 team in the NFL is the Eagles. Admittedly, that might be a homer pick on my part, but hear me out. Donovan McNabb didn’t play against the Saints. The Saints only racked up 48 because of Kolb’s picks, giving an already explosive offense a short field the entire game. Brian Westbrook isn’t yet 100 percent but will give the Birds 12 to 15 total scores this year. The defense has some injuries, but by the end of the year, football fans everywhere will know the name Quintin Mikell.

1. It’s absolutely astonishing, but young quarterbacks own the league. Mark Sanchez, Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco. Enough said.