Pitt Police search for Oakland Avenue assault suspect

By Liz Navratil

Pitt police are looking for a man who physically and indecently assaulted a female student… Pitt police are looking for a man who physically and indecently assaulted a female student outside Bouquet Gardens yesterday.

Pitt police Chief Tim Delaney said the woman was walking up Oakland Avenue when a man assaulted her. The woman screamed, attracting the attention of several people nearby. The man ran to his car, a white older model Volkswagen Jetta or Rabbit, and reversed the wrong way down Oakland Avenue before turning onto Sennott Street.

Fliers posted by the Pitt Police today described the suspect as a white male between 5-foot-11 and 6-foot-2.

Officers took the woman for medical treatment, but Delaney said he thought she was physically fine as of last night.

Police were still interviewing witnesses at 9 p.m. yesterday, Delaney said, adding that his officers had collected information from at least two people who drove white Volkswagen Jettas or Rabbits. He said witnesses agreed that the car involved in the incident was noisy, as if it had a muffler problem.

Delaney said he thought this was “truly an isolated incident” and called it “truly a rarity.”

“You always have a tendency to think … it just doesn’t happen at 9 o’clock on a Sunday morning, these types of things,” he said.

Anyone with information about the assault can call the Pitt police at 412-624-2121.

Editor’s Note: To respect their privacy, The Pitt News does not print the names of victims of sexual or indecent assault.