Volleyball: Panthers beat Kent State, improve to 3-1

By Randy Lieberman

The Pitt women’s volleyball team beat Kent State 3-1 in its home opener last night to avoid a… The Pitt women’s volleyball team beat Kent State 3-1 in its home opener last night to avoid a losing streak heading into this weekend’s Penn State tournament.

The Panthers (3-1) head into this weekend’s matchup slated to play Robert Morris, Buffalo and No. 1-ranked Penn State.

Pitt won its home opener by the scores of 25-18, 24-26, 25-22 and 25-21.

Sophomore Allyson Hodnik paced the Panthers with a double-double, notching 45 assists and 13 digs. Senior Meagan Dooley just missed a double-double of her own with 11 kills and nine blocks.

Junior Amy Town led the Panthers with 20 kills, while senior Melissa Stadelman recorded 12 kills and eight digs. Stadelman paced the Panthers with a .450 hitting clip.

Senior Michelle Rossi led the Panthers with 20 digs.

In the match, the Panthers out-blocked Kent State 24-13.

After a 3-0 run by Kent State closed the gap — 23-20 for the Panthers — in the fourth game, Rens called a timeout. The Panthers closed out the game with two kills from Dooley to take the match.

The game was the Panthers Season Spike and featured free food for a new student section, made up of the 583 fans who headed to the Fitzgerald Field House.

Earlier this week, the Panthers caught the attention of voters in the AVCA Coaches Poll as they earned votes for its Top 25. The Panthers’ 3-0 victory over then No.18-ranked Wichita State helped their cause.