Surveys to be made easier for professors to customize

By Estelle Tran

The Office of Measurement and Evaluation of Teaching made some changes to how professors request… The Office of Measurement and Evaluation of Teaching made some changes to how professors request teaching evaluations, but for students, the process will remain the same.

The program, which piloted in the summer, allows professors to sign into my.pitt.edu and request surveys. By putting this form online, the office cuts down on its processing time.

Professors will still be able to individualize their surveys by selecting additional questions online. They can easily select the classes they want, surveys and the times that the office can send proctors.

Proctors will continue to hand out the surveys to students attending class at the professors’ chosen time.

However, students will notice changes in the surveys’ appearances, said Lisa Votodian, assistant to the director of the Office of Measurement and Evaluation of Teaching.

After a professor requests a survey, he or she receives a confirmation date and time.

The office purchased a new scanner that will allow students to write in either pen or pencil, unlike the old ones that required students to use pencils.

In the summer, the office processed about 300 surveys. Votodian said she predicts the office will compile 3,000 evaluations.

With the new system, professors can expect to receive the results of the survey faster. It usually takes about one month for professors to see their evaluation results. Votodian said the processing time could be cut in half because of the more efficient scanner.

The office e-mails the results to the professors.

The system faltered during the summer because the office was working off old data. Votodian said professors and the office must check for changes in class enrollment. Because the data in Pitt’s system wasn’t updated, some classes did not have enough surveys to give one to every student.

She encouraged teachers who are new to the system to visit the office in G33 Cathedral of Learning. Staff are willing to walk professors through the system at the office kiosk.

The deadline for survey applications is Oct. 2.