Board of Trustees names new chair

By Estelle Tran

Pitt’s Board of Trustees unanimously approved a former president and CEO of Westinghouse to… Pitt’s Board of Trustees unanimously approved a former president and CEO of Westinghouse to serve as its new chair this morning.

Stephen R. Tritch, who earned his bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering from Pitt in 1971, replaces State Supreme Court Chief Justice Ralph J. Cappy, who passed away in May.

Tritch said he had the grades to get into Pitt but not the money at the Board meeting in the William Pitt Union Assembly room.

“I’ve described myself as the ‘kid from Butler,'” he said. “I’m a prime example of a person who has been able to succeed because of what we’re discussing here: scholarships.”

Chancellor Mark Nordenberg discussed the University’s financial state in the recession and the recent hiring and salary freezes.

During the press conference, Nordenberg said that last fiscal year was a record setting year for fund-raising, setting expectations high.

“This year will not measure up,” he said, adding that there’s not enough information to talk specifically about tuition fees and scholarships.

Tritch, who is a first-generation college student, said that he benefited from financial aid from Pitt and the state after the University became state affiliated.

Tritch said that Westinghouse, a consumer electronics producer, hires many Pitt graduates.

“I do feel a deep sense of duty and responsibility to the University to give back for my experience as a student and as an employer,” he said.

While working at Westinghouse, Tritch earned a master’s degree in business administration from the Joseph M. Katz Graduate School of Business in 1977. He worked for Westinghouse for 37 years until he retired in 2008.

Tritch, 60, also serves a director on the UPMC Board of Directors and as the chair of the Senator John Heinz History Center Board of Trustees.