Baseball: Panthers prepare for game at PNC Park

By Randy Lieberman

The dream of every young ballplayer is to one day tread the same turf their major-league heroes… The dream of every young ballplayer is to one day tread the same turf their major-league heroes did when they watched them play. Usually this chance is only possible if they can dedicate themselves to getting to the major leagues.

But for the Pitt baseball players, that opportunity comes while they’re still in college.

Pitt and Duquesne will meet today in the 81st annualCity Game. But it will be just the fifth year the game will take place at PNC Park.

There’s a reason why players long for a shot at the major leagues. Who wouldn’t enjoy personal lockers with his names emblazoned in metallic letters or competing on a perfectly manicured field that is maintained around the clock for his benefit?

And then there’s PNC Park, arguably the nicest stadium in the major leagues, with its view of Downtown Pittsburgh and beautiful blue-toned steel design that pleases the most passionate baseball enthusiast.

The game itself is the easy part for the Panthers, as they know they need good innings from their pitchers to shut down a potent Duquesne lineup. But even playing at PNC Park might not faze some players who have previously had the same opportunity.

“It’s pretty cool walking through the tunnels and sitting in the dugouts where the major leaguers sit,” sophomore pitcher Corey Baker said. “But we’re taught as a player to not show too much emotion and be professional about it. We just do the best to keep it under control.”

Baker, who was on hand for last year’s City Game, said he couldn’t get too caught up in looking around the stadium because he was focused on the game.

The past experience at the stadium will help in today’s matchup, said Baker, and the same was brought up by sophomore infielder Joe Leonard, who played at PNC Park in high school.

“It was awesome just to be there,” Leonard said. “Being in the same dugout and the same field as the Pirates is awesome. When you play there the first time, you’re definitely nervous, and the next time you’ll be more comfortable.”

Playing in a major league stadium gives players the chance to enjoy the stadium’s features. That’s why it’s important for some players to take in the scenery before the game starts.

“You come out onto the field and you get some time to look around,” Leonard said. “But we’re going out there to win. We’re playing Duquesne. We’re going to play our game and hopefully come out on top.”

Even though the players view the non-conference tilt as an important game, in the past the game has been an underclassmen display for both teams. Last year, Pitt coach Joe Jordano relied on three freshmen to step up for other teammates taking care of academic commitments. Phillip Konieczny, John Schultz and David Kaye starred in Pitt’s 17-6 victory at PNC Park last year.

Konieczny, a reserve infielder, was 4 for 5 with five RBIs. Designated hitter Schultz also batted 4 for 5 with three runs scored and an RBI. And the right-hander Kaye allowed just one hit in four 1-3 scoreless innings to pick up his first collegiate victory.

The Panthers’ victory last season gave them a 4-1 all-time series edge over Duquesne at PNC Park, with 2007’s game being canceled because of poor field conditions.

The reason underclassmen take over in these matchups is Pitt’s remaining schedule. The City Game usually marks the stretch run for the Panthers on their way to qualifying for the Big East tournament. Last year, Pitt faced conference opponents in 15 of its last 22 games heading into the postseason tournament. But the Panthers failed to qualify.

The Panthers hope to change that this year, so the team expects to stay fresh for its upcoming series against Connecticut and West Virginia to end its regular season.

But for one day, the Panthers will experience life as major league baseball players. They will hit in the same batter’s boxes and field on the same grass the best players in the country do.

Maybe the best advice came from Corey Brownsten, a junior catcher for the Panthers.

“It’s a great experience, but I’m just going to play the game,” Brownsten said. “You have to just play your game, I guess, just like a major league baseball player.”