Another year would help Blair develop his game

By Zack Chakan

You could see the complete devastation in DeJuan Blair’s eyes.

About 15 minutes after… You could see the complete devastation in DeJuan Blair’s eyes.

About 15 minutes after Pitt’s excruciatingly painful last-second loss to Villanova in the Elite Eight of the NCAA Tournament, Pitt’s sterling sophomore center couldn’t contain his disappointment.

When asked his first question by the media, he looked down, then closed and rubbed his tearing eyes.

He stood up and left his chair before answering another question intended for him and Levance Fields. It was a far cry from the familiar jovial smile Panthers fans are used to seeing.

Maybe it wasn’t just the nightmare of Scottie Reynolds’ floater in the paint that ran through Blair’s brain at that moment. With NBA scouts now drooling over him and projecting him as a potential lottery pick, the thought that he might have just walked off a court for the last time with ‘Pitt’ on the front of his jersey could have fought for some neurons.

Blair has to make his decision about his NBA Draft status over the course of the next few weeks. With his entire life essentially spent in Pittsburgh, from growing up in the Hill District to stardom at Schenley High to becoming a first-team All-American at Pitt, it’s a shame there’s no NBA franchise in the city to continue his legacy.

Blair will always remain popular in Pittsburgh. Heck, early online polls already have him as the odds-on favorite for the 2033 Pittsburgh mayoral election.

But his time in Pittsburgh doesn’t have to end. Not yet.

Blair will earn more money in one year than most of us will ever see in our lives. He’ll deserve it too, as his game already adapts to the NBA and he could walk onto the Los Angeles Clippers’ roster tomorrow and be their fourth-best player.

But you could tell from the NCAA Tournament how it’s not just about money for Blair. The post-game press conference after the Villanova loss showed that. Another prime example was when Blair leapt with glee after he got a finger on the ball dribbled by Xavier’s B.J. Raymond and Fields drove down the court for the clinching layup in the waning moments of Pitt’s Sweet 16 victory.

Blair loves the game of basketball. He loves college basketball. And he loves the city, the University and his teammates.

If he does leave early, it wouldn’t be a Chris Taft situation. Blair is further developed than Taft ever was, and he won’t declare for the Draft if he isn’t 100 percent sure of his first-round status. That won’t happen anyway, his stock has risen to the top 20 in many experts’ Draft boards, including the 20th spot on ESPN’s NBA Draft guru Chad Ford’s most recent list.

There are a few things Blair could work on to improve his NBA prospects. While he owns a 7-foot-3 wingspan, his 6-foot-7 size hurts in that he can only be a power forward in the NBA. For that reason, he’ll need to develop an offensive and defensive game outside of the paint. Blair will have to guard versatile players like Josh Smith, Dirk Nowitzki and Antawn Jamison. He can overpower some of those guys down low, but he’d have no chance if matched up one on one.

But Blair can’t exactly change his body type ‘- it’s what makes him such a special player. The true argument to keep Blair at Pitt lies in what brought him here in the first place, coach Jamie Dixon and the team.

The growing majority of basketball experts are already predicting a rebuilding year for the Panthers next season, regardless of whether Blair returns. Some believe Pitt might not reach the top 25 next year, because the team also loses Sam Young to the NBA Draft, and Fields and Tyrell Biggs to graduation.

But in reality, the Big East is in flux. Just look at the players leaving or expected to leave for the NBA. Hasheem Thabeet, A.J. Price and Jeff Adrien from Connecticut. Wesley Matthews, Dominic James and Jerel McNeal from Marquette. Terrence Williams and Earl Clark from Louisville. Everyone on Providence. Villanova and West Virginia appear to be the most prepared to weather the Draft hurricane.

Pitt is in better shape than you might think. If Blair returns, the Panthers will have 11, yes 11 players who could earn legitimate and worthy court time (Yes, including Gary McGhee. Aaron Gray was worse in his first two years.)

Blair and incoming freshman forward Dante Taylor will anchor the frontcourt, and McGhee can be successful playing 10-12 minutes off the bench. Dwight Miller might be ready to surprise the Big East at the forward position if he’s needed.

Pitt will also have superb guard play. Travon Woodall and Ashton Gibbs will split the point guard position, with Gibbs playing plenty of minutes spelling Jermaine Dixon, the only senior next season, at shooting guard. Brad Wanamaker continues to improve, and Gilbert Brown’s strong NCAA Tournament hints at a breakout campaign. And that’s not even considering Nasir Robinson and Lamar Patterson.

Blair would be the glue that holds it together, the one dominant piece that transforms that squad from a top-20 slot to another shot at an Elite Eight position. If he stays, his 15.7 points and 12.3 rebounds a game from this year could improve to 20 and 15 in 2009-10. Seriously.

For all that he’s accomplished in two seasons at Pitt, Blair won’t want Reynolds’ shot to be his final memory from college. He wants to carry Pitt to the promised land.

Even if he does decide to leave, he’ll still knock off Cooper Ravenstahl in that election. But his No. 45 might not be hanging in the rafters, unless he stays one more year.