Shunned sports stars can learn from the great John Daly

By Adam Littman

While there are many better golfers than John Daly, there aren’t many better self-promoters…. While there are many better golfers than John Daly, there aren’t many better self-promoters. Who else could steal attention away from their sport’s biggest event when not even competing in it?

Daly couldn’t partake in the Masters because he’s currently in the midst of a six-month suspension by the PGA for behavior that included hitting a ball off the top of a beer can at a pro-am and getting arrested after cops found him passed out in a Hooters parking lot in North Carolina.

So he showed up at the Masters anyway. Except instead of trying to get in, he stayed in the parking lot where he sold merchandise out of a bus.

If this seems familiar, it’s because Daly did something similar at the 2007 Masters. He wasn’t suspended that time, though, he just didn’t qualify for the sport’s most prestigious tournament. So he showed up and sold autographed merchandise at a Hooters in Augusta, Ga., which is the same city where the Masters is played.

Don’t judge Daly. He has a lot in common with the women of Hooters. First, neither can play in the Masters: Daly because of various personal issues, and the Hooters girls because the Augusta National Golf Club is for males only. They also both look great in orange: Daly when posing for a mug shot, and the Hooters girls when carrying you a tray of wings.

Of course, selling your own merchandise works for someone like Daly. Strangely enough, he is one of the most popular golfers on tour even though his track record reads like a NASCAR fan’s bucket list.

We must respect Daly’s genius plan. It allows him to make money as he’s suspended from his job using his strong points — like interacting with fans and signing stuff — while taking away things he does poorly — like represent a respectable organization.’

This brings up one more question, which is what other athletes should try something similar?

Sean Avery: The current New York Ranger isn’t the most well-liked hockey player. The NHL suspended him six games earlier this year when he said he loved how guys are dating his ‘sloppy seconds,’ in reference to two other NHL players dating his ex-girlfriends.

Well, make sure to bring some extra money to the rink next time to purchase new Tupperware. His ex-girlfriends might be sloppy seconds, but your leftover food doesn’t have to be, not with Avery’s own line of brand-name food storage and preparation containers.

Michael Phelps: Phelps set a record this past summer by winning eight gold medals in the Olympics. Earlier this year, photos published by a British tabloid showed Phelps smoking marijuana at a college party, and he lost a few sponsors, including Kellogg’s.

Don’t fret, sports fans, Phelps has a whole new horde of items to hawk. First, there’s the Phelps hemp thong and swimming cap. Then there’s the Borkel, which combines a snorkel with a bong. Finally, Phelps is also the sponsor of Taco Bell’s all-new, perfect-while-training diet burrito.

Plaxico Burress: The former Giants receiver accidentally shot himself in the leg last year when the gun he was carrying at a night club came loose from the waistband in his sweatpants. He reached for it, and — whoops.

No longer will you need to worry about such a thing with the all new Sweatplax. The 100 percent cotton pants come with two slits for your legs, a pocket on both sides, a string to tighten the pants if need be and a holster strategically placed on the inside of the waistband to hold a gun.

Jay Cutler: Don’t like your job? Neither did Cutler after learning his new coach looked into trading him. The ex-Bronco then pouted his way to Chicago.

Well, look for Cutler outside Gate 5A next fall where he’ll sell his new leather-bound pad holder to help you make a good impression on your next job interview. It comes complete with a side pocket to hold extra copies of your resume, and a strap to keep a pack of tissues in case you cry to get out of your current job.

Carl Pavano: The pitcher made his debut with the Cleveland Indians last week giving up nine runs in just one inning. While it seems impressively bad, Pavano is used to pitching only an inning, but usually because of injuries. He’s expected to make his first official trip to the DL as an Indian within the coming weeks.

Now fans can take a part of Pavano home with them. No, he’s not selling body parts. Those are worthless. He’s selling his own line of neck braces and elastic bandages to make even the healthy appear hurt. He also sells fake doctor notes. Whether you’re getting out of class or work, the only thing Pavano’s fake doctor notes will have your supervisors wondering is how you mustered up the courage and strength to even show up today.

O.J. Simpson: The one-time football great is known more for his off-the-field actions, which is unfortunate because he was one heck of a player. Well, at Simpson’s table you can purchase autographed pictures from his playing days, game-used footballs and jerseys. He’ll even take a photo with you while you both do the Heisman pose.

One thing to note with Simpson products, though: All sales are not final.